Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick question on DWHWizrd.exe?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlgib

rlgib

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

Today I decided to check my Processes in the Windows Task Manager after my computer being kind of slow. Just so you know, my computer has been struggling with some issues, mostly Trojans. Like a lot of them. But this is not what I'm posting this about since I am going to have a professional family friend take a look at it soon and fix it up.
Now when I looked in my Processes I saw a new name that I'm not used to. DWHWizrd.exe. Yes after doing some googling I found that it is related to Symantec and all that but I still decided to search my computer of all files that contained "DWHWizrd.exe" exactly, even case-sensitive because that's what appears on the Processes.
Expecting to find nothing but the actual file, an additional file was found. And this I'm going to full on quote from what it says on my computer:
Name: DWHWIZRD.EXE-0D9BE5FE.pf
In folder: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
Size: 204 KB
Type: PF File
Date Modified: 1/19/2014 6:36 PM. (Today's date)
I found this really strange to find this file and I'm unsure if it is some sort of malware because my computer has been suffering from it but I haven't downloaded anything today, let alone at that time and I wasn't even on the computer (The computer was on but I wasn't doing anything). Is this something I should be concerned about right away or is this just part of the actual file?
Not to mention I just did a Malwarebytes scan and it found a lot of Trojan.Agents all from DWH temp files (Which when my Symantec Notices come up they say "Action taken: Quarantine succeeded:Access denies." This has been happening for awhile, which is why I'm getting the computer fixed soon by a professional rather than me trying to figure it out myself)
Some clarification is appreciated on if I should be concerned and what not. Thank you.
Plus when I tried to open the file, it cannot be opened because Windows doesn't know what program created it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

I found this really strange to find this file and I'm unsure if it is some sort of malware because my computer has been suffering from it but I haven't downloaded anything today, let alone at that time and I wasn't even on the computer (The computer was on but I wasn't doing anything). Is this something I should be concerned about right away or is this just part of the actual file?

This is just a prefetch-file that Windows creates automatically to speed up application startups (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefetcher). It is a feature that your operating system maintains in the background and per se is nothing to worry about.

But this is not what I'm posting this about since I am going to have a professional family friend take a look at it soon and fix it up.

So you don't require any further assistance here in cleaning up your computer?

#3 rlgib

rlgib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Nope. I'm all good now. Thank you for clearing this up. My computer is running nice now and I have absolutely no problems now that I got it looked at and now it's fixed. Freedom of a fast computer.
Thank you once again!

#4 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

All right, thanks for letting me know.

#5 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users