Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get wifi! Please help!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Onyxcat

Onyxcat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

I just got comcast and I can't seem to get the wifi to work for my 2 laptops that use vista. One is vista and the other is vista business. At the moment both of them are hooked up directly to the modem. When I try to access the internet via wifi the laptops say they are connected but with limited access. I also get an error (75.75.75.75) and it says something about a DNS problem when I try to diagnose the issue. I don't know what any of that means. I've also tried to use my router. That doesn't work either and I can't access the (192.168.1.1) interface screen like I used to. I dunno what to do anymore. The comcast person that installed the modem and such tried to get it working, but he failed as well. I'm afraid he might have made the problem worse then it probably was. Can anyone help me?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Run this on both lap tops with it wired to the modem:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Post a link for both.

#3 Onyxcat

Onyxcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Well you see they're both my fathes laptops and I'm not sure if he would want me to do that, because I'm not at all sure what that includes. I understand what you're saying and I did read over the Speccy page, I would just like to avoid getting into some trouble. Is there anything else I can do?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Ask before and post back, there really isnt much info that is included. Once I take a look at the links, you can remove them and make a copy of them just in case.

#5 Onyxcat

Onyxcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Is that it? I could only do one laptop, because my mother took the other one.

edit: If someone requests the specs again I will repost them.

Edited by Onyxcat, 19 January 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Most likely this is just a modem that the OP's father has, and not a Gateway, which includes Wifi, routing, a four port switch, and the modem all in one neat package.

Bleeping Madman, Speccy will do nothing to fix this issue.  It is like telling your mechanic that your car just made a noise like something exploding under the hood, and all of a sudden just stopped.  Either the mechanic will tell you what is wrong, or tell you that there is nothing they can do, and you have to purchase the part needed to fix what caused the problem.

In this case, the OP's father needs either to contact Comcast to find out if they have a Gateway, if they are not clear from looking at the installation info, or go purchase a router, or for some odd reason, they are stuck behind the walled garden, and again need to contact CC to fix.  Odd case, could be that they let the idiot CC tech install their proprietary software with the Constant Guard software, which needs to be installed.

So first things first, the OP needs to look and see if mom & dad has either just a modem, or actually the Gateway that CC is issuing.  Then they need to go and look to see if the CC tech installed any proprietary software.  If so, they need to remove that.  Then they need to remove any DNS entries for IPv4 & IPv6 in the Adapter properties, then do a ipconfig /flushdns and netsh winsock reset catalog from the Command prompt.

Speccy is not going to fix the problem that the OP has, and will not show anyone anything of what is going on.

Edited by Greg62702, 19 January 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

Speccy will help me see their computer. So I can assist them better please become familiar with the tool so you can understand its purpose and intention of requesting the information it's much like mini toolbox as scene throughout this forum.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

Speccy will help me see their computer. So I can assist them better please become familiar with the tool so you can understand its purpose and intention of requesting the information it's much like mini toolbox as scene throughout this forum.

Speccy will not solve this issue, due to it is not a computer issue.  There is some important stuff that the OP left out.  1) Is there a router?  If there is, what is the mfg & model#.  2) What is the modem or gateway that they got from Comcast, along with mfg & model info.  3) Did the Comcast tech install the Norton Internet security software, which comes free as a part of their "Constant Guard" package (total garbage install).

Again, too much is asked for people to use Speccy, when it does not even apply to the issue at hand.

Need to concentrate first on what hardware they have.  2) If there is any Internet security software installed on the computers. 3) Did CC screw up and they are still behind a walled Garden.

Asking a person to post info from Speccy, is like taking your vehicle into a shop, after the Drive shaft has fallen out on the road, which you saw it do.  Or even worse, your engine throws a rod.  But the mechanic wants to connect the computer to your car, to figure out what is wrong.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

Again if you had any familiarity with Speccy you would understand why I asked for and such if you take a look at the reports you would see the connection works via wired and you can compare the ip settings to the wireless network they are the same so the network is working just fine. Also constant guard wouldn't cause one interface to fail and not the other. Stop comparing this go actual physical stuff like a drive shaft and instead compare it to a computer diagnostic report when you take a car in for a sputter. So please I ask you to become more familiar with it tools of the trade.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

On the lap tops can you perform the following

Ipconfig /all > c:\ip1_laptop.txt

All on one line then do it again on the other lap top and use 2 in place of one and attach the files or copy and paste the output of sack file located in the c:\ via my computer. Do this with out being wired. You can use a flash drive to transfer the files.

Also you would access the web interface via http://10.0.0.1

#11 Onyxcat

Onyxcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Ok, I can't really understand computer talk and it really isnt helping that you are both disagreeing with each other.

Yes i have a router. It's not working. Why? Because the last time I used it we had to reset it back to factory settings. Then yesterday I hooked it up and tried to access it's interface thing by using (192.168.1.1) and it worked. But as I was setting things up i hit save and it it NEVER let me get back to that screen. That is why I am not using the router. It's a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHz 802.11g Model # WRT54GS V7

I don't think the comcast guy installed any sort of security software. He didn't mention any and i don't see it anywhere.

I don't know what model the modem is.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

What is your Comcast provided device? Can you provide the model number?

#13 Onyxcat

Onyxcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

Well on the bottom it says Model: TG862G/CT

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Follow page http://moto.arrisi.com/support/documentation/user_guides/_docs/TG862G-CT_User_Guide_Standard1-0.pdf 21 to set up your wireless LAN. YOu do not need your WRT54GS unless you are wanting to use it as a Wireless Access point in another part of the house.

#15 Onyxcat

Onyxcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

I did everything it told me to do and it still doesnt work.

I get an error saying Cannot cummunicate with primary DNS server (75.75.75.75)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users