Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop don't charge the battery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FlyerX

FlyerX

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hi guys!

i recently purchased an used NC4400 laptop for work....

i chose that model because i have several years working with it and is one of the most rock solid laptops i ever have tried...

but this time i think the seller sold me a defective one...

the seller sold me this one without battery and without charger, its ok for the price (70bucks)  i already have couple of those batteries around there and some chargers...

when i receive it, i plug it to the ac and after 20 minutes notice the laptop don’t charge the battery, i tried another battery and the same, i decide to try the battery in another nc4400 i have and it charge it fine....  so is not the battery, and is not the power adapter...

i checked the BIOS and it is exactly configured like the others nc4400  i have here.

what is wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlyerX

FlyerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

so.. nobody....

#3 disenchanted

disenchanted

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Hi FlyerX

Is not uncommon for a battery not to charge isf there is a problem with the mainboard..

Check the Maintenance and Service Guide here on how to disassemble your -addmittedly aging- Notebook.

Look for signs of corrosion pr burn marks near the Battery charging pins

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

I would have to assume that you used a DC voltmeter to determine if the output of the adapter is correct?

Another possible problem could be the connector where the adapter plugs in.  This is a common problem with laptops, the pug either becomes loose of it physically becomes loose on the motherboard.  You can try moving the plug around to see if it is a loose connection.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 FlyerX

FlyerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

I would have to assume that you used a DC voltmeter to determine if the output of the adapter is correct?

Another possible problem could be the connector where the adapter plugs in.  This is a common problem with laptops, the pug either becomes loose of it physically becomes loose on the motherboard.  You can try moving the plug around to see if it is a loose connection.

Hi FlyerX

Is not uncommon for a battery not to charge isf there is a problem with the mainboard..

Check the Maintenance and Service Guide here on how to disassemble your -addmittedly aging- Notebook.

Look for signs of corrosion pr burn marks near the Battery charging pins

Thak you for the answer guys!

i already checked the guide for disasseble the laptop in order to reach to the board.. and no sign of corrosion nor wear.. i even changed the board and i runwith the same odd luck to have a SECOND board with the same problem!!!!!

i havent have a third NEW board because i am afraid to get the same problem again (if that happen i should play lottery)... ihave tried the batteries in another same laptop and charged fine, i have tried with th dc adapter  in another laptop and worked fine too...

i dont know what to do... if i only knew WHICH part of the board is responsible for the charging... i guess it should be arrpound the battery's connector area but i cant find anything wrong or corroded around there...

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like the charger bit on the mother board has had it. I have an old pendo u1000 laptop doing the same thing it wont charge batteries but it runs fine when plugged in to the wall. Yes I have tried the POWER SUPPLY and battery on another pendo u1000 and it works fine.

On ebay if you buy a laptop without the Power supply and battery it usually means the said laptop is for parts only.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

i already checked the guide for disasseble the laptop in order to reach to the board.. and no sign of corrosion nor wear.. i even changed the board and i runwith the same odd luck to have a SECOND board with the same problem!!!!!

i havent have a third NEW board because i am afraid to get the same problem again (if that happen i should play lottery)... ihave tried the batteries in another same laptop and charged fine, i have tried with th dc adapter  in another laptop and worked fine too...

i dont know what to do... if i only knew WHICH part of the board is responsible for the charging... i guess it should be arrpound the battery's connector area but i cant find anything wrong or corroded around there...

You posted my suggestion, but you haven't indicated if you have tried using a voltage meter to troubleshoot the adapter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 FlyerX

FlyerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

You posted my suggestion, but you haven't indicated if you have tried using a voltage meter to troubleshoot the adapter.

With the adapter you mean the ac adapter? if so, yes i verified the voltage and it is within the required by hp and within the decalared by the adapter... anyway i tried with a different adapter and still the same....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users