Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No wifi after clean win8 install: No solution?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Skikes

Skikes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

I performed a clean windows 8 install on my asus essentio cm6730-uk020s and now I have been left with no wireless functions and after 2 days searching and downloading drivers and 2 more clean installs seemingly no way of fixing this.

The network controller is flagged under other devices in the device manager and I have no real way of telling what the wireless card is. The official drivers on the website do nothing. I'm almost positive it's realtek as the network adapter is a realtek pcie gbe family controller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The hardware ids of the unknown network controller is:
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8821&SUBSYS_21611A3B&REV_00
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8821&SUBSYS_21611A3B
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8821&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8821&CC_0280

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hello, and welcome to bleepingcomputer.

This is a very difficult driver to find. From the device id it is a rtl8821ae

Go to windows update and select check for updates. See if an update for the wireless is under "optional updates"

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 January 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hello, and welcome to bleepingcomputer.

This is a very difficult driver to find. From the device id it is a rtl8821ae

Go to windows update and select check for updates. See if an update for the wireless is under "optional updates"

They are going to have to go to their computer manufacturer's website and see if they have the driver, since the only thing close to it, would be the rtl8723ae driver.

#4 Skikes

Skikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

I've did both and unfortunately windows update and the manufacturers website dont have the right driver OR they do and ive installed it and it hasn't worked.

Thanks for the welcome :)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

I am not sure why but the drivers on the Asus support site for your computer are both Ralink and yours is a Realtek. Is your OS 64bit?

I may have found the driver. I downloaded it and viewed the  netrtwlane.inf file. The site says it will work for 8 but I can't guarantee it. You will have to manually install it from device manager. Right click the device and select update driver. Have disk and point it to the uzipped folder on your desktop. Good Luck.

http://www.magicdriver.com/driver166577-ver_2012.2.0827.2013.html

#6 Skikes

Skikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

thanks for the reply but unfortunately that didn't help. When I directed device manager to the folder containing the driver it told me it couldn't find a driver.

I'm genuinely shocked, I'm beginning to think it's unfixable without out returning it which is heart breaking as it seems like such a simple issue and I've exhausted possibilities

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

When you double clicked the folder, the inf file wasn't listed?  That is strange.

#8 Skikes

Skikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

It's very strange... I'm contemplating another clean install lol

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

8.1 is just a Service pack, enter your computer info, choose Windows 8 and whether it is 32bit or 64bit, and then download the drivers it shows for your adapter.  Even though you are showing a different device ID, the driver I stated before, is the one that covers that chipset series.  Also RaLink sometimes comes up as Realtek in Windows, for some unknown reason.

#10 Skikes

Skikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

I've tried that and updated the chipset too, neither of them worked.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Hi

Please try this driver - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8/WLAN/WLAN_Realtek_Win8_64_VER2010708162013.zip

This is from Asus and contain exact Hardware ID you from your post.

#12 Skikes

Skikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

You sir, are a genius!

I have wifi again! I genuinely cannot thank you enough. I've been in front of my computer for 12 hours straight and you've solved it in seconds. How did you find this?

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

Hi

Glad to know it worked for you.

How did you find this?

Usually every OEM will use the same wireless card in more than one model . Since Realtek WLAN driver is not listed for your model in the official support page, i searched for and find another Asus model which came with "Realtek" WiFi. Downloaded the driver and verified the HWID. Since it is matching, i know that it will work for you.

Wireless drivers are always OEM specific. I will avoid installing generic drivers or drivers tweaked for other OEM as much as possible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users