OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
I use Process Hacker as a task manager replacement and I sometimes glance at the “Network” tab. Last week when I was looking at the “Network” tab, I saw a weird website under the “Local Address” column that I’ve never seen before: traffic.acwebconnecting [dot]com
Process Hacker "Network" tab:
Honestly, I cannot recall if that “traffic.acwebconnecting [dot]” com was always there or not. I only noticed it in Process Hacker last week.
I don't know if acwebconnecting was normal or not so I did some research on acwebconnecting and I found out that they are supposedly a legitimate company. But there are two things that concern about this acwebconnecting website.
- The website “traffic.acwebconnecting [dot] com” is listed as an entry in the MVPS hosts file.
- I looked up acwebconnecting on URLVoid and found out that there are several dodgy websites that share acwebconnecting’s IP Address
acwebconnecting URLVoid info:
I became worried about this so I ran numerous virus scans. The scanners I ran were Norton, Malwarebytes, Emsisoft, HitmanPro, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, and TDSKiller.
Norton: Found three false positives (Nirsoft apps)
Malwarebytes: One false positive. (another nirsoft tool)
Emsisoft: Found two objects but Emsisoft deemed them as “no risk”
HitmanPro: Four false positives
Comodo Cleaning Essentials: Detected that my hosts file was changed but that’s because I use the MVPS hosts file.
TDS Killer: Nothing found.
Ironically, I have not been experiencing any freezes, crashes, or any other problems that are potentially caused by viruses. My internet speed has also been fine as well.
A few more important points:
- I don’t think acwebconnecting is phoning home. I’ve never seen any of the acwebconnecting processes connect to the web. Then again, I am a novice when it comes to understanding networking.
- Last week, I installed Winpcap as a requirement for another program, FLV Recorder (could Winpcap be causing the problem?). I uninstalled both programs but acwebconnecting still remained in Process Hacker.
- I ran some of the virus scanners in Safe Mode but they still didn’t find anything. (Ran Norton, Malwarebytes, and HitmanPro).
Is this acwebconnecting [dot]com a normal thing or do I have a potential problem?
Any help or advice will be appreciated!
Edited by ultimatedorkboy, 19 January 2014 - 07:17 PM.