Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Visible Command Prompts?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 animemonster

animemonster

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew of any viruses or other types of malware that opens visible command prompt windows. Particularly any current threats that have been popping up. I want to look into possible solutions to the problem before I have to post the computer over on the malware removal board.

I'm starting to seriously consider locking my mother out of admin rights on her own computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hello -

Many will tell you to click here or there, but not via the command prompt program face.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any viruses or other types of malware that opens visible command prompt windows. Particularly any current threats that have been popping up. I want to look into possible solutions to the problem before I have to post the computer over on the malware removal board

It is their pop-ups will often offer you items if you click on their links etc.

Almost all malware is known for redirecting you or offering extras if you continue .........

A good (even free) Antivirus is your main defence, and a good Antimalware (even as a daily cleanup scanner) is also required.

MSE Antivirus from Microsoft, and at least Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM) are 2 simple and effective steps.

These should scan daily and the Antivirus should be set to Real Time (active) protection.

Just good basic measures first, and do not let mum download Anything without calling you :whistle:  -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 19 January 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#3 animemonster

animemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

She has McAfee already is currently running a Malwarebytes scan. Personally, I don't like McAfee, but its her computer.

I did a google search about the command prompt, and now think that it might just be java out of date doing funky things.

I'll do some more research... so far her malwarebytes scan has three objects to deal with.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

More Information About Viruses and Hackers

What are some signs that my computer may be infected or hacked into?

* If you see pop-ups that run automatic scans and says that your computer is infected with a ridiculous amount of viruses, this is a sign you may have a fake antivirus program
* If your screen turns black and all of your start menu items and desktop icons disappear.
* If you start up your computer and see random 'black screens' (command prompts) pop up and close.
* If your computer is running unusually slowly. This could mean that your computer is running programs in the background that you don't know about.
* If you are getting a lot of emails returned with virus warnings.
* If you see your computer icons running away from you as you try to click on them, or if your computer decides to 'chat' with you.
* If you see black console screens open and close when you boot up your computer.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 animemonster

animemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Looks like I may have to post that computer on the removal log forum, anyways. It looks like what ever is attached to it is going through java. She had version 7 update 45, I've spent most of the evening trying to update it to update 51. It won't take.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

Using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.Although, Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.
* Why You don't need Java
* W3Techs usage statistics and market share data of Java on the web
* Java: should you remove it?

I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it.

#7 AV4Me

AV4Me

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

I would suggest looking through your registry or using msconfig with the startup tab to see what programs are starting on startup, this is often a quick way to determine if anything nasty is starting when the computer starts, not all infections use this technique to launch but it is very common for infections to attach themself to the startup sequence. 

In the registry look at the following key for anything odd:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You may also want to check the same path under the HKEY_Current_User key.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Rather than muck around in the registry, we prefer members to use one of many free startup managers.

Best Free Startup Manager
What’s the Best Startup Manager for Windows?
Startup Manager Freeware

#9 AV4Me

AV4Me

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

No need for additional tools, simply go Start > Run and type "msconfig". Click the Startup tab and you will see a list of what is being loaded during startup, you can uncheck anything you don't want to have starting. (Be careful what you uncheck, you don't want to prevent something important from starting)

MSconfig will give you the registry location and the file path as well.

Edited by AV4Me, 26 January 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board is primarily targeted more for the novice user as they comprise most of our membership. We provide help based on that premise since it is impossible for us to know the extent of a member's background, knowledge level and experience.

MSConfig also shows startup applications related to services. I have seen folks disable items under that tab by mistake or out of curiosity and make a mess of things. That's why I recommend using a free start-up manager rather than MSConfig or going into the registry itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users