Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Melly365

Melly365

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

My computer was working fine until yesterday morning. I turned it on and got a black screen saying NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt del to restart. I was able to change the start up order to cdrom by pressing f2. I can't access anything else only f2. I borrowed a system recovery disk for windows xp home edition from my parents but it won't load even though I've changed it to start with the CD. The only thing I can think of that I've done differently with the computer is the night before this happened I plugged my cell phone into the computer and put pictures onto it. I usually use Samsung kies air for that but for some reason I decided to plug my phone into it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I don't know what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hi

The Message NTLDR is  missing could be caused by more than one reason. Main reasons as either the file is actually got corrupted or system is booting from the wrong disk or partition.

Please try the below steps.

1. If there is any USB flash drives plugged, please unplug all try reboot. Some systems may try booting from USB instead of HDD and produce this error.

2. Copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the installation disc to the root of "C" drive.

Here is Microsoft's official guide about doing this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816793

Watch the below video guide to understand the steps easily.

#3 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

In addition to what has already been posted, I have seen this message twice before when the hard drive has failed due to mechanical failure.

I don't know why you can't boot from CD though.

Steve O.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users