Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd-rom Troubles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NC_Villager

NC_Villager

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

The combo drive on my old Compaq Armada 700 (500mhz) will only play DVD's and not CD's. I have Win 2000 and have tried to update drivers in the hardware section. It has played both media in the past, but when I put a DVD in and go back to a CD it konks out. The drive winds and revs a few times then quits. The hardware wizard says it is working normally. I have tried with 3-4 different CD's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fireboy

fireboy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for your post. I have seen this with laptop as well as desktop CD drives in our Service Centers. More than likely, your hardware is malfunctioning. If your notebook is under warranty, back up your data and call to request a repair.

If it is not under warranty, you can usually find a replacement part online. A word of caution though, do not use notebookparts.com. I have been burnt by them in the past and they almost always show up in the Search Engine top 10 for results.

Good luck!

#3 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:37 AM

some times notebook parts can get a little expsenive you can go to walmart and buy an external cd drive pretty resonable just plug it in your usb port and there you go and if you have only 2 usb slots and want to plug in more devices you can purchase an epansion 4 port hub pretty cheap also

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users