Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jzip Bandoo is it a virus or did I install wrong?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tobycatt95

tobycatt95

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

I tried to install JZIP yesterday for my Aunt, (this is not my computer) and it seems to have installed. But when it did it changed some desktop icons & stuff, which I thought was sort of funny.  I went to open a new tab in Google Chrome & the homepage was YAHOO and it shouldn't have been.  When I tried to open paint, a little Jzip window popped up.  I thought, hummm,  did I miss something with the install?  So I checked to see if I had accidently set this Jzip to be the "default opener" for other files..  Nothing was checked to indicate so.  So I tried to open the  desktop shortcut to google chrome, thinking I would check out a complete tutorial on this Jzip.  When I clicked on the shortcut, that same little box popped up.  I tried to right click to see if I could "open with" and it will not let me.. I get that same little Jzip pop up box.  I checked a few files out & realized that something was horribly wrong - so I uninstalled the Jzip - but all of the icons on the desktop, as well as "inside" the computer are now that yellow folder/target looking icon from jzip.  When I search for anything Jzip, nothing shows up, but I can not navigate through this computer at all.  Whenever I try to open a file or folder or get to the web, I get that crazy little pop up box.  I tried to run command & I cant do that either....  Just about everything I try to do is redirected to a little jzip window....

It is actually 2 pop up windows... the top one says ADD at the top, then a little drop box with ADD TO ARCHIVE and whatever file I am trying to open is listed there.  Below that are two buttons to click - New & Open.  Below that is another drop box titled Action - and I can choose from Update archive & add,  add & replace, add & move, update archive & move.  To the right of that is a Compression Choice Box.   Below that is a section called Advanced Settings and I can check the following,,,, encrypt added files, include system and hidden files, include only if archive attribute is set, Split archive.   I tried to take a screen shot, but anything I save or open is directed to jzip & that little box. 

This is So I tried to run Malwarebytes right away, but it would not open....get that jzip box.   Thankfully she had Chameleon also, so I did get malwarybytes running & it found 75 infected files... which we removed.  But nothing has changed.  Everything still directs itself to Jzip when we click on it.  We tried to open system restore, it will not open.   We tried to download roguekiller, it will download but it will not open.  It has that little yellow symbol from jzip as it's icon.   EVERYTHING I am trying to do is being blocked by this Jzip.   Did I install it wrong to open all files in the wrong way?  Or is this a virus?  I see some folks have gotten a virus from this Jzip Bandoo - but I don't completely know what I am doing so I don't know if I have done something wrong when I installed it or if it is a virus or something.    

Thank you for any help or ideas!   I do not know what to do next.   I keep searching on my other computer for ways to remove if it is a virus, but I am sort of disabled from downloading anything to the infected / screwed up computer.....   I don't know if all the things I am trying are EXE files?   I just noticed that a lot of them are... 

Thanks so much!!!!   I am confused!  And I hope we didn't wreck my aunt's computer!!

tobycatt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hello and do not panic -

The Bandoo is a well known minor pest that installs with other programs.

First, open Control Panel > Programs and Features (Add/Remove for XP)

Look for the names of any of these programs (or odd names) and Uninstall all that you can find that were just installed.

Now -

Please download and run RKill by Grinler.

A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear.
This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.

At worst the tool will run for about 2 minutes

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

* Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
* Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
* Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
* Click on the Scan button (only once)
* AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
* After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
* NOW - Click on the Clean button (only once)
* Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
* Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
* After Auto rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
* Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
* A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

Next -

Please download Junkware Removal Tool by thisisu and save it to your Desktop.
* Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software now to avoid potential conflicts.
* Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
* Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
* The tool will open and start scanning your system.
* Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
* On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
* Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.
These tools will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include many related registry entires (values, keys)

Now do you know how to reset the homepage back to what it should be ??

Complete that, and you should see a change -

If there is no change then please Uninstall Chrome, and use Internet Explorer as Chrome picks up all of these minor problems.

Now reset the home page or ask me how -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users