Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype encountered an error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Don't know if this will help anyone but thought I would pass it on.I installed skype on windows8.1 and 15 minutes after I log in,it says skype has encountered a problem and must close.It seemed to happen continuously.I googled for an answer and spent 3 days trying all the suggestions to no avail so I decided to just let it be for now.By the way skype always comes on when I restart or boot up but after 15 minutes or so the same thing happens.Anyway,I installed opera just to try it for other reasons and I happened to tick make it my default browser by mistake.When I restarted,skype logged in and has been working fine ever since.Set IE11 back as default and skype continues to shut down.Don't know if anyone else has had this problem with skype but using another browser worked for me.Doesn't make any sense does it,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Have you tried resetting your IE 11 browser settings? In the Skype community that seems to be a common fix when the browser conflicts in several different ways.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thanx for the suggestion,I haven't tried it but I will today.Thanx for the help.

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

I tried resetting and still the same thing.Before this I googled it and got on the Skype forum but have yet been able to find an answer.

I still have to keep signing in every 20 minutes.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,835 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

I don't have IE 11 and refuse to upgrade to it, due to so many issues it seems to cause, so I have no way of doing any testing to assist you.

Hopefully someone else reads this and has information or a known fix they have experience with.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I do thank-you for your help but it is working now.In case anyone would like to know what I did,here goes.I uninstalled Skype and took all the registry items I could find and deleted them.I then used JV power tools to find any leftovers and deleted them.I tried to download Skype from the website but it took me to the windows store in 8.1.From what I understand this is common in Windows8 and 8.1.The trouble was the store said it was installed and I could not download it.I had my daughter download the desktop version for Windows7 and I installed it on my puter.It has been working perfectly ever since.Maybe this will help someone else.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,835 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Thank you for letting us know you resolved your problem. Additionally thank you for sharing your fix so that others may benefit from your experience. Happy Computing.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 RussCooke

RussCooke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

In the office the other day,  I was trying to rename my computer (as was everyone). I went to the wrong screen, and another, and another, and somehow I ended up at the correct one. Everyone asked me how I managed to do it, and I couldn't tell them. I felt like an idiot, but at least I didn't have to worry about it again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users