Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 transfer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pvtires

pvtires

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

I am in the process of building a desktop for myself. My mother has Windows 7 installed on an old laptop that nobody uses anymore. I wanted to transfer the Windows onto my desktop, the problem is that she got the OS from the windows website. Now is it even possible to transfer the OS from that laptop to my desktop although it has no disk? Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

You can't do that.

#3 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

In general Microsoft will only support the transfer on an OS from one computer to another when both systems have identical hardware.

As part of the activation process a hardware identifier is created based on the system components, so Microsoft will be able to tell if an OS is being installed on different hardware.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

You can buy an honest copy on Ebay some just under $100, I just got pro for that figure.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

In general Microsoft will only support the transfer on an OS from one computer to another when both systems have identical hardware.

As part of the activation process a hardware identifier is created based on the system components, so Microsoft will be able to tell if an OS is being installed on different hardware.

This is not accurate.  The computer with Windows 7 on it is a laptop, this being the case I guarantee this is a OEM computer.  A OEM copy of Windows is intended for one installation on one computer, period.  Once this installation is made it is tied to the computer it was installed on, specifically it is tied to the motherboard.

If you install it on your desktop you will not be able to get it activated because it is tied to the other computer.  Microsoft will recognize this and not allow activation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Call them, tell them the other unit is trashed, will no longer be capable of being used. I have gotten a OS activated that was on one machine before, then had to move the OS to another, due to prv. Unit died.

It will be blacklisted at first in their system, until you physically talk to a human.

#7 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

she got the OS from the windows website.

That's definitely OEM then.

#8 pvtires

pvtires
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

This is not accurate.  The computer with Windows 7 on it is a laptop, this being the case I guarantee this is a OEM computer.  A OEM copy of Windows is intended for one installation on one computer, period.  Once this installation is made it is tied to the computer it was installed on, specifically it is tied to the motherboard.

If you install it on your desktop you will not be able to get it activated because it is tied to the other computer.  Microsoft will recognize this and not allow activation.

The Windows 7 on her laptop isn't OEM, i'm sorry i forgot to mention that. She upgraded the laptop from vista to windows 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users