Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not auto-start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lavaxtris

lavaxtris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

I am running a home server off an old Gateway DX10 desktop and the BIOS has limited functions:

ACPI Suspend Type      [S3(STR)]

PowerOn by PCI Card   [Disabled]

PowerFail Status           [Always Off]

RTC Alarm Resume       [Enabled]

Date (of Month)              [0]

Resume Time                 9 : 0 : 0

I have had it on these settings in order for it to start itself up every day.

This has been working fine for a while but now the computer only will start up when it wants to.... probably less than half of the time.

I dont understand. Nothing has changed from when it was working.... besides the time to 9am. Is there an issue with my hardware, perhaps?

Edited by lavaxtris, 19 January 2014 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

If the power to the computer is interrupted, even momentarily, the computer will shutdown.

#3 lavaxtris

lavaxtris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

its been getting worse recently. Before I made this post, I rerouted all the power cables so that the computer is only plugged in to 1 strip which plugs into the wall. Unless a minor power drain is keeping the computer from turning on, I don't see why that would be a problem.

Edited by lavaxtris, 02 February 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

Power and/or heat are the first two things that come to mind.

Problem: The computer comes on at 9:00 AM, a power interruption occurs any time after that and the computer shuts down.

Solution: Plug the computer into a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply).

Problem: The computer comes on at 9:00 AM, overheats sometime after that and shuts down.

Solution: Thoroughly clean the computer and fans, replace the thermal grease on the CPU heat sink, and while you're in there, might as well reseat all cable and card connectors several times to clean the contacts.

Problem: The computer comes on at 9:00 AM, the power supply is flaky/failing/lazy/overloaded and the computer shuts down.

Solution: Replace the power supply.

If you think the problem is the operating system (OS), boot and run the computer from a Live CD/USB for a while.

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is probably hardware related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users