Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Problems ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 djw663

djw663

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Hi Bleeping Computer her problem is kind of similar to mine.  I had a fan that had been making noise for quite some time, then windows would sometimes take longer than normal to load but would always load. Turned out to be my Northbridge chipset fan making the noise. I replaced the fan and windows started loading fast again. A month or two later windows would just sometimes not complete the loading process loading so I would have to do a hard shutdown and startup again. then Windows would load normaly (it always would load in safe mode) now sometimes windows will not load for days so I thought I fried the chipset then just for kicks I tried to start my computer and it started right up. Once my computer loads it runs perfect it seems that it is a 50/50 chance that it will load if I need to restart due to updates I have no idea if it will reload or not , any ideas;  one of the admins mentioned the battery? I built my computer approx 7-9 years ago so don't have an exact date. Using MSI K8N-Neo4 F version 1, AMD Opteron dual core CPU, 2 gig ram, MSI video card, Samsung SSD HD, 630W power supply any other specifics you need or should I just start another thread?

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2014 - 09:31 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

If the CMOS battery is the original I'd think seriously of replacing it. They are good little workhorses but I wouldn't expect it to last more than about 5 years of constant use.

One other step you might try would be to remove and reseat, carefully, all of the pieces connected to the motherboard. over that long a time dust and a bit of corrosion could be reducing the effectiveness of the connections.

The CPU looks a little warm, check that carefully. If there's heat transfer paste between the chip and the heatsink you might want to clean both surfaces and apply a fresh, thin coat of paste.

All that said it might also be time to consider a replacement. XP is slowly sinking into the sunset and support for it is leading the way. The technologies and the threat landscape have moved far beyond what that system was designed to handle. Coping with today may be pushing its limits very close to the breaking point.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 djw663

djw663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the tips. When I replaced the Northbridge chipset fan I removed and replaced all other removable hardware pieces and blew them out with compressed air. I had switched to an aftermarket fan for the CPU not long after putting in the Opteron CPU so I will put the OEM back in to see if the temp goes down and then I will also replace the battery as suggested. I know they say support for XP will be going away sometime this year but Kaiser Permanente is using Windows XP for all their hospital computers at least in all the patient rooms so I find it hard to believe Microsoft will discontinue support but anythings possible. Any other suggestions before shutting down my computer and taking a chance it will not reboot?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

If it will not reboot with a charged battery then you are looking at a hardware failure on the motherboard. I expect it to take longer since the CMOS will have to rediscover everything and you will have to review all of the BIOS settings to make sure they are what you want. It will likely reset itself to factory defaults.

The organization I work for is still on XP and only now starting to do the upgrade to W7. We have a number of in-house developments which they have had to revise for the change, but it is happening.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Can you go to BIOS section and check the voltage output readings for +12 volts? Did you try removing and reapplying the CPU paste as speccy reads the thermal output as close to maximum already.

AMD Opteron 185 (UP): 59 °C
Denmark 90nm Technology

Tekken

#6 djw663

djw663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

I have not yet changed out the CPU heatsink and fan or replaced the paste. I originally had the Athlon and upgraded to the Opteron shortly after the original build. I replaced the power supply a year or two later when they got better and I again just within the last month bought a new power supply for more efficient power, cooler and quieter. I also had to replace the Northbridge chipset fan do to bad bearings. I will check the voltage to make sure it is 12V and I will clean and redo the heatsink and fan for the CPU. Then I will let you know.

#7 djw663

djw663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Looks like I probably had a fan backwards fighting my CPU fan, I took off the cover While my computer was on and the temp on the CPU dropped 7 degrees celsius.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kNYTnhsOspGA0jK7CwStIhz

I don't know if that makes a difference on what anyone thinks the problem might be?

I went into the BIOS and here is the information:

System Temp 33 degrees celsius

CPU Temp 38 degrees celsius

CPU VCore  1.37V

3.3V = 3.31V

12.0V = 12.03V

5.0V = 5.02V

Battery = 2.97V

+USB = 5.02V

Edited by djw663, 23 January 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

I will reiterate what has already been suggested, remove the fan, clean the thermal compound off the heat sink and CPU and then replace the thermal compound.  I would make this a priority!  You only need an amount about the size of a grain of white rice.  Use a plastic card (debit, library card, etc.) to scrape the old thermal compound off, you can use isopropyl alcohol clean the residue that remains.

You posted that the temperature dropped significantly when you opened the case, this is where fresh air is drawn in from.  There usually is a grill on the front of the case which can become clogged with dust, hair, pet fur, etc.  I would suggest removing the front cover and cleaning the grill.  

What dicke posted regarding the CMOS having to rediscover everything is not correct.  When the CMOS battery is installed the BIOS will immediately be active, it will be set to the default settings.

The rail voltages look good, so it doesn't look like there is any problem there.

If the computer starts consistently in Safe Mode but doesn't boot consistently normally I would suggest doing a Clean Boot to see if a Service or Startup item is causing the problem.

Clean boot for Windows XP

1)  Click on Start> click on Run> type msconfig then click OK

The System Configuration Utility dialog box will be displayed.

2)  In the System Configuration Utility dialog box click on the General tab, then click Selective Startup.

xpcleanboot_zps1aa78561.png

3)  Click on the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box to remove the check mark.

4)  Click on the Process WIN.INI File check box to remove the check mark.

xpcleanboot2_zps4cc4d741.png

5)  Click on the Load Startup Items check box to remove the check mark. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

6)  Click on the Services tab.

7)  Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.

8)  Click on Disable All, then click OK.

When you are prompted restart the computer.

If the problem does not occur after you restart the computer, follow these steps:

1)  Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 except that, in step 2, click to select half of the cleared check boxes.

2)  If the problem still does not occur after another restart, click to select half of the cleared check boxes again. Repeat this process until you have selected all the check boxes and the problem still does not occur.

3)  If the problem occurs after a restart, click to clear half of the check boxes that you last selected. Repeat this process until you can isolate the one service that is running when this problem occurs.

When you identify the service which is causing this problem post name of the service in your next post.

Once this process has been completed you need to return the computer to the normal startup mode.

1)  Click StartStart button in the Start Search box.

2)  Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

3)  On the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

4)  When you are prompted, click Restart.

Edited by dc3, 24 January 2014 - 10:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 djw663

djw663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

I took off the heatsink, cleaned it, put new paste on and replaced it still leaving the side cover off and the temperatures are the same. I do take my computer out to my shop and blow it out with clean dry compressed air large volume of air at a reasonable pressure from a 30 gallon compressor periodically because of the animals, dust, dirt, etc... it is clean and I do replace fan's fairly regularily but the temperatures are still the same. I see the normal operating temp of this CPU is 49-65 degrees celsius but it sounds like the temp is a concern with everyone responding?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BBy4YM4R5qeFT4utbXqe8ex

I ran the recommendations of dc3 earlier this evening and it booted each time then I restored it to normal settings and it wouldn't reboot right away, it took rebooting 7 times before it finally started. I will pick up a new battery tomorrow and let you know. If the Northbridge chipset was damaged due to the fan going out could that have caused my problem? If so I'll replace the mobo or do I start with running my Windows XP cd repair?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

When you cleaned the case did you remove the front panel cover to see if there was an accumulation of dust or other materials?

After step #8 did you restart the computer at that time?

If you did, did the problem continue?

I would like to try a couple of other things before suggesting replacing the motherboard.  Specifically, I would like to have you run chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow.  In that order.

I would suggest that you run chkdsk /r, this will repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information.

Click on Start, click on Run and type cmd in the box and press Enter.  

You will see an image similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in or copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt and then press Enter.  If you type this in be aware of the space between chkdsk and /r.

You will get the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.  Would you like to shcedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  (Y/N)

Press the Y key, then press Enter

Restart your computer to run the scan.  This has five sections and will take some time.  Please don't try to use your computer while this scan is running.

A log file will be created which can be found in winlogon.  This can be found in the Event Viewer under Applications.

Click on Start, type eventvwr.msc then click on Enter.  Click on Application and select the most recent winlogon entry.

Please copy and then paste this in your next post.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

During this scan you may be prompted to insert your installation disc in the DVD/CD drive, if you have this disc you will want to have it available before you start the scan.  If you don't have this disc and are prompted for it you will need to follow the *instructions below for locating the i386 file. 

To initiate this scan go to Start, click on Run and type in sfc /scannow then press enter.  Please note the space between sfc and /scannow.

If files are found during this scan which need to be replaced you may be prompted to insert your installation disc, do so at that time.   If it doesn't ask you for the disc this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.   In the event the the system asks you for the disc, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

***Warning, the steps below involve entering the Registry.  If a mistake is made there this can render your computer inoperable.  For this reason I suggest that you first back up the rigistry.***

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT 

Please download  ERUNT.

For the version with the Installer:  Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer.

For the zipped version:  Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.

Important:  For the zipped version you will need a program lik 7-Zip to unzip the files.

Click on Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

In the event you need to restore your registry, run ERUNT from folder C:\WINDOWS\ERUNT\ (the date the backup was made shoule go here.)

*If you do not have this disc you will need to locate a directory on your system which is named i386. You will need to search for this in the registry, to do this type in regedit in the Search programs and files box and then press Enter, you will see a screen similar to the one below.

registrysnip_zps5dd5b3c6.png

To find this you will need to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup 

You will see the list of HKEY options, please notice the arrow to the left of the option, when you click on this arrow the menu will expand and you will be able to find the next step “SOFTWARE”, expand the menu on this option and proceed till you reach “Setup”.  Under “Setup” you will need to find “SourcePath”.  The SourcePath probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. This needs to be changed it to C:\, to do this double click on SourcePath, a box will open where you will make this change by typing in C:\.

Restart your computer now and try running the scan again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 djw663

djw663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Yes I did to your first questions and I had already ran scandisc twice before, this was the third time since the issue started. I am having an issue trying to copy and paste the entry. It appears I cannot even show you a picture? Are there any specific errors or warnings you are looking for? Norton Ghost was the first line item error. I will need to dig out my Windows XP disk then I will run the next test you suggest. I'll get back to you ASAP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users