Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop only uses 3/4 GB RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 G2442g

G2442g

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

I'm using a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, 32 bit.
According to my system info, my laptop has 4,00 GB RAM, but task manager only shows 3038 MB physical memory available.

How can I use the full 4,00 GB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

Is there any problem with your system? Is it performing normally?

#3 G2442g

G2442g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

As far as I´m aware of there are no further problems.

I can´t tell whether my laptop has always been doing it; I haven't used it for 2 years (bought a faster one to game with, my mother has been borrowing this one ever since).

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

While in theory a 32 bit OS can address 4Gb ram, that's really the ideal maximujm. The display adapter almost certainly will use at least 500Mb and your system may reserve additional space. If your system is performing well I wouldn't spend any more time thinking about it.

#5 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

Allen is right. I've never seen a 32-bit OS be able to access a full 4GB of RAM. Until you install a 64-bit OS, you'll never be able to.

Here is a good page from Microsoft that explains the whole concept and some workarounds.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

The simplified version is a 32-bit Windows operating system has a Address Space which is 4GB in size.  This space has other memory allocations other than RAM.  Other critical functions include the system BIOS, motherboard resources, and memory mapped for I/O, PCI, PCI-E, and other PCI devices (cards).  Because of this a 32-bit operating system typically will only recognize between 3.3GB and 3.5GB of RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users