Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer setup issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hamilton Guy

Hamilton Guy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Hi everyone:

I just discovered this forum and look forward to participating.  Here is my current problem:

I have managed to screwup the printer settings on my laptop, running Windows 7 32 bit. I was trying to get an older wireless print server that I owned working with this laptop running Windows 7. The print server firmware appeared to be designed to work with XP and no updates were available. However, in the knowledge base there were instructions to make it work via a LPT1 setup:
http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.as...rticleid=22034

I tried this but couldn't get it working. When I next went to use my printer hardwired it gave me an error message saying "no printers installed", even though the printer was showing in Devices and Printers.

I went to add a printer and got an error message saying:

Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.

I go to Task Manager/Services and sure enough the Print Spooler is stopped. I right click and click Start Service and I get an error message:

The operation could not be completed. Access is denied.

I have administrator access on this laptop. Restarting did not help.

I have also gone into services properties and given myself "full control", but was still not able to get the spooler to start.  I could start it in services.msc but it didn't stay started.

Any helpm would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Hamilton Guy, 19 January 2014 - 06:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hamilton Guy

Hamilton Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Bump, Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

What is the manufacturer & model of this Print Server.  If it was only intended for XP, but they kludged a way to make it work for 7, call yourself lucky.  There are other Print Servers out there, that will work with 7 & 8.  Time to put that dinosaur to bed.

#4 Hamilton Guy

Hamilton Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

What is the manufacturer & model of this Print Server.  If it was only intended for XP, but they kludged a way to make it work for 7, call yourself lucky.  There are other Print Servers out there, that will work with 7 & 8.  Time to put that dinosaur to bed.

The print server is a Linksys WPSM54G. I have given up on making it work with my Windows 7 laptop, the problem I have is that now, I cannot print at all from that laptop when it is hardwired to my desktop printer (a Brother 2240 model). 

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Firewall is usually the first thing to look at on the computers, along with making sure the Pinter is shared.

#6 Hamilton Guy

Hamilton Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Firewall is usually the first thing to look at on the computers, along with making sure the Pinter is shared.

Firewall is probabaly not the issue since I am not trying to get the printserver to work.  I am not trying to print over my network. What I am trying to do is plug the brother printer into the USB port of the laptop and print to it.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

First off, have you downloaded the Firmware updates for this printer http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2240_us_eu  Second have you tried downloading and installing the drivers that are at the link before this sentence.

All you should be doing, is plugging the printer into the USB port on the computer, not using any third party device in between.  If you are using that Print Server, get rid of it, and just plug the printer into the USB port on the computer.

You will have to uninstall any previous installations of this printer, before attempting to reinstall the proper drivers.  Also uninstall any associated software and drivers for that Print Server.

If you are going to share the printer, there are other network capable Print servers out there, that built into certain routers.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

To add to what Greg has said in Post #7, printers are notoriously fussy about the set-up sequence - some like the software (drivers, etc.) installed before connecting the printer, others like to be connected and switched on before installing the software. It is one of very few areas where I consult the manual before going ahead. As my wife would tell you, normally I only consult the manual for anything once I have got myself into a mess !

Here is a link to the manual for your HL 2240 :

http://www.brother-usa.com/VirData/Content/en-US%5CPrinters%5CConsumer%5CUsersManual%5CUM_HL_2220_2230_2240_2240D_2270DW_EN_2640.PDF

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Hamilton Guy

Hamilton Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

I was able to get the problem fixed today.  I was at a Board meeting of a computer company today and after the meeting, the CEO very kindly had his tech support guy have a look at my laptop.

I apologise if my explanation is a little vague but I wasn't taking notes at the time. He found an error message and when he googled the message, one of the responses that came up required searching for a key in the registry, deleting it and then deleting a .dll file.  The key was for an HP printer (I previously had an HP printer connected to this laptop).

Low and behold once we had completed the process described and restarted the computer, everything was fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users