Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Network Icon In Taskbar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 swas

swas

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

Hi all, a few days ago after a reboot the network connection icon next to the clock on the taskbar went away :thumbsup: and i haven't been able to get it back. anyone have any ideas???

thanks

swas
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

swas: Verify that the icon is setup to display in your taskbar...

1. Open Network Connections

2. Under LAN or High-Speed Internet, click the network connection to be displayed on the taskbar. Then, under Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

3. On the General tab, click the Show icon in taskbar notification area when connected check box.

Sources:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...n.mspx?mfr=true
JC

#3 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hi JC thanks for the reply, when I open network connections there isn't anything there :thumbsup: it says 0 objects. any ideas??

swas

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

Hello, swas: I found the following support article from Microsoft support page that walks you through steps to fix this problem...if this is the problem you are having.... How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP

Since this article may be little complicated for the average user, and there are registry changes in some of the steps, I have a few questions for you before you proceed...

Did you make any changes recently that may have caused this? Are you having any other issues besides the icons missing? Are you having any problems with your internet connection?

After a reboot, try to find the connections listed under Network Connection icons again, and post back with answers to the questions above.
JC

#5 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

Hi JC, sorry for the slow response, THANK YOU very much for finding that article. I went through it, and found that the Simple TCP/IP Services was unchecked for some reason. The only thing that I can remember doing before this happened was installing zone alarm firewall. If I accidently clicked do not allow into protected zone, would ZA somehow make the icon go away but keep the connection??? Other than that everything on my comp is working great.

thanks again
swas

#6 Shakesx2

Shakesx2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Google "netvol.reg" from kellys corner and run the little program and let it add the line to the registry and then reboot!!!
I worked on this problem for four hours then found this !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users