Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Any EXE Files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Khellendros

Khellendros

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

I was helping my sister with her laptop running Windows 7, which was not able to uninstall anything from Programs & Features. I could use all applications fine, but when I tried to uninstall a program it stated the Windows Installer Service was not running. I checked the running services and saw that it was though. I then noted there were 83 Windows Updates available, so I decided maybe I should do all those updates and see if they resolved the problem.

After installing the 83 updates and restarting, about ten of them failed...and now I cannot run any exe files on the laptop. The remaining updates repeatedly fail if I try them again as well. It gives the following error when any program tries to run (aside from notepad, which seems to be the only thing working still):

kRAmzNI.png

I researched the error and found a ton of pages saying that the update KB2859537 causes this error and to uninstall it, but that isn't even an installed update or one that was in the 83. Perhaps a different update causes the same issue or the laptop is infected in some way? I get the same error even after booting into safe mode. Any help?

Oh, and I already tried system restore to before installing the updates. It just caused a BSOD on boot and I had to system restore back to after having installed them again. File association fixes did not resolve the problem either.

Edited by Khellendros, 19 January 2014 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

Do you have update :;    2872339  ??

If you do, please set a system restore point.

Also backup your registry using ERUNT

Then, remove the update.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:20 AM

The laptop did indeed have that update. It uninstalled fine, but It did not fix the problem.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

Did you reboot after the uninstall?...if not, please do so.

If there is still no change, allow windows update to reinstall the update

Quote..."I was helping my sister with her laptop running Windows 7, which was not able to uninstall anything from Programs & Features."

What were you trying to uninstall?

What happens when you attempt to open a program now?

You are unable to open Firefox....Reset FireFox :: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

Does Internet Explorer work for you?

When your browser was opening, was everything normal.....opening to the page you wanted it to etc ?

Edited by Condobloke, 19 January 2014 - 03:15 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

Yeah, I had rebooted.

It was when attempting to uninstall any program. General stuff like Bing Bar and Norton Antivirus.

The same error occurs now.

Internet explorer does not work. Nothing seems to but notepad.

Yes, everything was normal then. I wouldn't have even thought there was anything wrong with the computer. Hmm, things were actually uninstalling fine now that I think about it and recall...up until Programs and Features froze and I ended the process. It only stopped uninstalling things at that point. Perhaps I messed something up by doing that. I don't think it's related to the EXE issue.

I'm fairly sure it was one of the updates that caused it (or had a bad reaction with something else), but I've no way to know which one it is and I can't uninstall all of them since the computer blue screens when I try...

Edited by Khellendros, 19 January 2014 - 03:28 AM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:28 AM

If there has been no positive result after rebooting......Please run the following for me.

Please note...DO NOT reboot between running Rkill and TDSS

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool,  If you get a message that RKill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by the infection when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close RKill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run RKill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that RKill can terminate the Infection that we are attempting to get rid of. So, please try running RKill until the malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the guide. Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware programs will start again.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

* Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
* A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
* If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
* Do not reboot until instructed.
* If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop.
* Extract (unzip) its contents to your desktop.
* Open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
* If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
* If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
* It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
* If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
* If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory (usually C:\ folder) in the form of TDSSKiller_xxxx_log.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

We posted/edited at exactly the same time

In addition to what i have already posted ....::Run it first if i have posted in time....otherwise leave it until Last..!

Download  MiniToolBox MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.
Close any Firefox browsers you may have open
Checkmark the following boxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Nothing would run, I'm afraid.

K97Dna1.png

3Fu0VXG.png

99wYxNs.png

PDNNvTr.png

ky3Q5aW.png

Edited by Khellendros, 20 January 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Ok...one more try....

Boot into safe mode, and run Rkill from there...if it runs successfully, DO NOT REBOOT, .....follow it with ::

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

REBOOT.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

It gives the same error in safe mode.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Read the Instructions below. Most importantly.....provide a link back to this topic.....if you cannot run the  DDS logs simply SAY SO in your post.....Once you have posted a n ew topic there DO NOT add anything else....it slows down the response time.

Good Luck.

As you are badly infected, please follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide  starting at Step #6.

When you have created the necessary logs, start a new topic  HERE 

..... and post the required logs to your new topic .  (You will also find this link at Step 7 in the Preparation Guide).   The Malware Response Team Experts from the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum will attend to your topic from thereon.
(Windows 8.1 Users will not be able to create DDS Logs)

=> Continue if you cannot finish any step -

Please Use Copy / Paste for your responses, and Do Not Attach them unless your helper requests this.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

Above All...DO NOT add any replies to your topic....Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Removal Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If Help Bot responds to your topic, please follw his Step #1 so the team will be notified.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

If you are having some problem making that post...please advise.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

I will remove this topic from my watch list

If you have further problems, please open a new topic.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I've been caught up in work and forgot about this. Apologies. I've made the new thread now, so this one can be closed.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users