Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privazer looks unsafe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ThunderFlash

ThunderFlash

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

hey Guys,

To begin I must tell you what hapened to me 1 month ago. I was installing & reinstalling Windows Vista after many trials, and there seemed

to have a bleepware (adware,malware or whateverware) judging by  pc performance. I was installing Windows & removing pre-installed software like Norton etc.

and rightaway installing Avast & my basic stuff via a USB key.

So after 7-8 times, i said fook it i'll install those tomorrow with out creating an internet connection.

I decied to look at movie on DVD before sleep, instead of using  Windows Media Center or the  HP reader

I use VLC it's just better. my VLC.exe is on that same USB key. Has soon as i pluged in the USB key

Norton went on Alert mode, saying malware behavior tried to change this & that,  so Norton corrected that

and put the source of infection file in Quarantine. The file was the Privazer Setup & the Trojan was Zango,

a valant virus from 2005, since i had not made any updates Norton virus definition was dated in 2007.

Maybe that's why it detected it. That virus signature not being overwriten by newer definitions.

Surprised i went ahead and pluged in another USB key with Privazer Steup on it (an older version),

same Alert same virus. So i tought Zango attached itself to Privazer. However i stopped using privazer

for a few weeks. But insalled again last week, after sacnning it with VThash*, result was clean.

But i used HerdProtect san tonite and it gives me 3 positives on Privazer.exe the installed application.

Out of curiosity i used BleepingComputer's dowload search & Privazer aint there, might be a good reason for that.

Could not put a snapshot of the HerdProtect result in my topic, so i'll copy it by hand...

privazer.exe Goversoft (signed)

C;\program files\privazer\privazer.exe

-Reason Heuristics (PUP.Goversoft)

-Trend Micro House Call (TROJ_GEN.F4V0527)

-Jiangmin (Win32/Downloader.NET)

What do you think of it ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_PrivaZer_Team

The_PrivaZer_Team

Authorized PrivaZer Rep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

Hello  Thunderflash, 

here is the PrivaZer Team.  :hug:

When we release a new release, we always submit it  to Virustotal.com

Please see here the result :

https://www.virustotal.com/fr/file/fcdedced088ebbb9c39b5e9e22d04aaeb326f737092bf41e65a04a7b3fbb4062/analysis/

There is no virus/malware in the new release (v2.14).

We have just reported this false-positive case to Reason Software, Trend Micro, and Jiangmin and 

we will inform you as soon as we'll get an a reply....

Hope it helps.

Edited by The_PrivaZer_Team, 19 January 2014 - 01:55 AM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

Worth mentioning again, PrivaZer was ran directly after ccleaner.

From their site -

(Personally only) I would not touch it with a dead Windows 98 system -

It claims to Optimize a range of O/Systems, so it is not a dedicated program, just a regulation .......................

Leo A. Notenboom from Ask Leo is quoted as saying "My fundamental belief is that the best registry cleaner is no registry cleaner at all. Unfortunately, I also get reports of situations where registry cleaners have made things worse, often much worse. I’ve heard from individuals that have had to completely reformat and reinstall Windows after running a registry cleaner that did much more harm than good."

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

99% of these are "Snake Oil" and will never fix anything - - -

here is the PrivaZer Team. 

Was this autherised by site management ?

Edited by noknojon, 19 January 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

A Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as malicious. Thus, this type of detection does not always necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. PUPs in and of themselves are not always bad...many are generally known, non-malicious but unwanted software usually bundled with other free third-party software to include toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins and browser extensions. PUPs are considered unwanted because they can cause undesirable system performance or other problems and are sometimes installed without the user's consent since they are often included when downloading legitimate programs. PUPs may also be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition. That fact adds to confusion and a lot of complaints from end users asking why a detection was not made on a particular file (program) they are having issues with.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

@ The_PrivaZer_Team

If you are an Authorized Company Representative, please read the information I have just sent via PM to your inbox.

Thanks
The BC Staff

#6 The_PrivaZer_Team

The_PrivaZer_Team

Authorized PrivaZer Rep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hello quietman7,

thanks for the info.

We have just contacted Grinler, the site admin to add us on the Authorized Company Representative list.

We hope we can offer here the same support level as we do on Wilders Security Forums

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Not a problem.

I also advised Grinler that I sent you the info and you would be contacting him.

#8 The_PrivaZer_Team

The_PrivaZer_Team

Authorized PrivaZer Rep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •