Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP & 7 again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mameigwess

Mameigwess

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

I've tried every suggestion I've found here and elsewhere with no luck.  I have a new Acer laptop with Windows 7 and a desktop with XP home sp3 on the same work group.  I can access the Windows 7 machine from the XP machine, even an attached USB hard drive, but not visa versa.  When looking at the network map on the Windows 7 machine I can see the XP machine but there is a " device cannot be placed in map" statement next to the listing.  When in Windows Explorer I can see the folders I have designated to be shared on the XP machine but can't open them.  I get "you might not have permission ....."  and "not enough server storage ....." messages.  I've checked and Network Discovery and File Sharing are both on.  The one thing I did find was when I looked in Select Network Component Type/ Service/add, I got nothing.  Not sure if that's the problem or what to do about it.  I also am unable to print from the Windows 7 machine to the wired printer on the XP machine even though I can see it.  I get a " can't find driver" message.

DLH 

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2014 - 09:13 PM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Make sure that you have Home Group turned off on the Windows 7 machine, Simple File sharing is turned on, Firewall is set to Off on both machines, Network Discovery is turned on in "Advanced Sharing Options", along with File & Printer Sharing, "Use User accounts & Passwords to connect to other computers".  Under "All Networks", Public File sharing is on, Password Protection should be set, but use a simple short password for your username on the Windows 7 machine, not a really long one.  Otherwise you will have issues.  Set "File Sharing Connections", to 40-56 bit encryption.  You should then be able to see the Windows 7 shares from the XP machine.

#3 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'll try those things you suggested but if it makes any difference I can access and download files on the Windows 7 machine to the XP machine but not the other way around.  I can see the files on the XP machine that I've marked for sharing but I can't access them.  I get a "filename is not accessible, you might not have permission...." and "Not enough storage...." message on the Windows 7 machine.  I've looked on the XP machine for any permission I might have missed  and I think I got them all.

One more thing.  You said to turn off Home Group.  I couldn't find a single switch for that so I un-selected each option for sharing.

DLH

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Check that the services are set to automatic on the XP machine. Go to start and type services.msc Check that they are set to automatic and started.

Computer browser

Network Location Awareness

Server

Workstation.

#5 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Still no luck.  Network Location Awareness is set to manual but is started.  Does that make a difference?  How would I set it to automatic?  The rest are set to automatic and started.

DLH 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users