Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive problem and RMA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rubydoggie

rubydoggie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Had trouble booting into windows 7. It would get to the "Starting Windows screen and hang. After numerous boot attempts I managed to get to my desktop and ran CHKDSK and it hung at 27% for over 24 hours on stage 4 of 5.,so I rebooted and after several attempts managed to get into windows again. I ran CHKDSK again from command prompt and this time it went all the way through the process and I had some bad file clusters on a gaming file in one of my Skyrim mods and ChkDsk said it replaced the file. When I rebooted chkdsk started again and this time I had no errors and that my volume on my local disk was clean.

From that time on I have been able to boot into windows and I guess a bad sector was causing the problem. I decides to run the Western Digital Diagnostic and the short test passed but the extended test failed (I ran this test twice). The error that I received was "error code 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors". And I am wondering if I should RMA my Western Digital 1TB Veloci Raptor. drive?

I tried to run GSmart Control but when I try to run the tests I get the message" Sending Command Failed". From seeing what you experts know what the results look like when other folks have posted using this tool ,I thought if I could run it and give you folks the results and help me to decide if I should really RMA my drive for it's under warranty. I really hate to have to install all my OS and programs again. So far I have had no problem but is it a problem waiting to happen again. Any help would be appreciated for I just have basic technical knowledge.

respectfully, rubydoggie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubydoggie

rubydoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Sorry,I posted in the wrong forum. Please move it to the proper one. What a way to start with my first post.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:41 AM

Sorry,I posted in the wrong forum. Please move it to the proper one. What a way to start with my first post.

Where did you mean to post this ??

#4 rubydoggie

rubydoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

In internal hardware forum

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

It will be moved soon -

Thanks -

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hi

Let's see if HDDScan will show us your SMART attributes

http://hddscan.com/download/HDDScan-3.3.zip
Extract it and run HDDScan.exe (it may take a bit to show up once you start it so be patient)
Select your problematic drive from the dropdown list (if it is there)
Click the SMART button and let us see the results (copy and paste, hopefully it won't be too messy :) )

James

#7 rubydoggie

rubydoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

James it has been a bad luck day.My pc was running ok so I ran CrystakDiskInfo and it showed that i had 200 bad sectors and hard drive health was at72%.So i removed it and sent it on it's RMA way. I should have waited but I didn't.And I sure wish IDID wait,for now I left my backup in and was going to put my os on that drive and when I receive my hard drive I was going to just clone over to the new drive and then use it for a bacup again.But my day got worse. With the backup drive in I was just going to go to the bios the set it for cd boot,but when I booted upnow I cannot get into the bios,my mouse and keyboard not on.I thought is was going go smoothly and this happened.It's a EVGA 680iLT board and I am at a  loss ..at to what has happened.Checked connections,ram etc cleared cmos by removing the battery and so far I am nowhere!!!! Don't know what else to do.Surely the board is ok, like I said Ijust removed the power cable and the sata cable and buttoned up the case. Any help would be appreciated It's a EVGA 680iLT board. Today I can't win for losing!!!!! Have a mad family wanting to use the pc.I am ALWAYS careful about static charge for i use a wrist strap all the time.

Edited by rubydoggie, 19 January 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hi

Sounds like doing an RMA for the drive was the right thing to do. Let's see if we can get it to boot to CD.

How is the backup drive connected to the computer?

If you disconnect the backup drive, does it allow you to access the BIOS when you turn it on?

-=[ James ]=-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users