Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading from win 7 to win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 shinmarwan

shinmarwan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

hi every one

can i upgrade from win 7 to win 8.1 without re-installing my all  applications and games ??

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

What does the Microsoft.com information state, regarding this?  Any time you do a upgrade, the new edition will store the old info in Windows.old.  Personally you are better to just stick with Windows 7, not even touch 8.1.  You will find that stuff runs better on Windows 7.

#3 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

what ?? so 8.1 is bad ?? okay

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

Try it on someone else s machine big chance you will you will change your mind, my best friend just got it upped from 8 he hated 8 and says 8.1 is not much better.  7 is user friendly the 8's are a pain!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

In order to make user friendly, you have to use either Classic Shell or Stardock Software'sStart8 & Metromix.

If you have a Broadcom wireless chip set you could try Xubuntu 120.04. Runs fast, will run Virtual box, so you can still run windows when you need to.

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

Just going to give an "Other side" opinion.

Windows 8/8.1 is great! It's so much easier to navigate than Windows 7 when you get used to it. Now that's the big thing. Getting used to it. The reason the majority of people dislike Windows 8 is because it's different than anything that has been seen before. I mean some users would have been used to the current format ( Start button bottom left, desktop and time bottom right) since Windows '95 in 1995. So nearly 20 years of the same old thing but just made to look nicer. I'm in the boat that is happy they've made a change.

Windows 8/8.1 have some great perks such as

• Fastest booting OS to date
  • Integrated skydrive for cloud access
  • Thousands of apps to improve your Windows experience
  • Easy to use with time.

Now with your decision, take your time. Windows 8/8.1 isn't for everyone. But after about 3 months of using it, I know my way around and I am happy I took the leap.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Stodgy old fots like me may not have three months to wait :censored: 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

The basics are easy to get to grips with.

You swipe your mouse to the right for your navigation. You just type to find anything on your PC. That also includes power options and other such options.

You swipe your mouse to the left to see all current open windows.

That's all you need, the rest of it comes naturally. - I still find myself looking at tutorials on how to do things on Win7.

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#9 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

i tried it on my mom laptop

and ... meh .... little complicated and not that fast 

may be because the of the laptop  ?? i dont know

#10 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

It all depends on the laptop.

I have an Intel i5 with 8GB of RAM

That boots up to the log in screen about 30-40 seconds faster than a Windows 7 equivalent. I've seen people who have put Windows 8 on an SSD and booting from that and it's extremely quick.

It is a little complicated but it's easy when you get the hang of it! 

#11 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

the lap is intel core 2 due and  2 gb ram

#12 Khurram Shahzad

Khurram Shahzad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

me using Windows 8 on my Lenovo B570 CoreI5 laptop With 8 GB Of Rams and it's an awesome wxprience it work very fiine and every time when I start my lapy its start just in few secends and that is whay i love windows 8 and Now i am upgrading it to Windows 8.1 :-)

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

I tried Windows 8 on my laptop. Took much longer to boot than it did with Windows 7. Ok, so I decided to see what would happen if I upgraded to 8.1. Total disaster-boot time was even longer than 8.  I went back to Windows 7. My laptop and I are much happier now. Before anyone says my laptop may not be compatible to use with Windows 8, I bought it two months before 8 was released. The laptop was ready to go if I wanted to take advantage of the $14.99 Windows 8 upgrade offer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 January 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#14 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

The basics are easy to get to grips with.

You swipe your mouse to the right for your navigation. You just type to find anything on your PC. That also includes power options and other such options.

You swipe your mouse to the left to see all current open windows.

That's all you need, the rest of it comes naturally. - I still find myself looking at tutorials on how to do things on Win7.

Yes, the basics are easy to get a grip with.  You get away from all of that swipe garbage, by installing Classic Shell or Start8.  Metro does not belong on a Laptop, Desktop or even on Server 2k12.

#15 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

I tried Windows 8 on my laptop. Took much longer to boot than it did with Windows 7. Ok, so I decided to see what would happen if I upgraded to 8.1. Total disaster-boot time was even longer than 8.  I went back to Windows 7. My laptop and I are much happier now. Before anyone says my laptop may not be compatible to use with Windows 8, I bought it two months before 8 was released. The laptop was ready to go if I wanted to take advantage of the $14.99 Windows 8 upgrade offer.

It depends on the hard drive, and how long it has been running.  I have a Crucial M500 240gb SSD and 12gb RAM on my Toshiba Satellite C850d.  I found that Windows 7 Pro 64bit boots faster then 8.  Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit boots faster then 7 & 8 put together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users