Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to use Windows Backup or System Restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nonic

Nonic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Hi

When a friend of mine upgraded to a new laptop he kindly gave me his desk top PC after first removing all of his personal data. The PC has Windows Vista Ultimate installed as the operating system.

Recently I thought it was about time to backup all the files/folders that I have now accumulated  on the hard drive. However,when I went to use the backup feature in the Backup & Restore Centre I received the following error:

"The backup did not complete successfully.

A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason

Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFF"

I have tried the backup feature a number of times but always with the same result.

Before attempting any solutions I tried to create a restore point using the System Restore feature.However, this too has been unsuccessful as I keep getting the following error

"The restore point could not be created for the following reason:

Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFF

Please try again"

So far all I have done is run Check Disc [twice] with the message "Volume is clean" displayed on both occassions as well as the System File Checker [twice] with the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" on both occassions.

I am really concerned that I am unable to backup my files or create a restore point as in the event of a system crash I will probably lose all my data.

If anyone could help me overcome this issue I would be very grateful

Thank you

Nonic

PS a Speccy snapshot is attached. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HiYq1Rh6xE2JZQkRW3CoEi8

Lead Me Not Into Temptation.....I Can Find the Way Myself !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Well, you've done the suggested fix for that problem. There are several free programs you can try for backing up....imaging the hdd....cloning the hdd.

I use Seagate's DiscWizard for creating images of my entire HDD. It is actually a customized Acronis program. I think the Vista backup program is a customized

stripped down version of Acronis, too. I know Windows 7 is.

DiscWizard | Seagate

Seagate DiscWizard User's Guide - dw_ug.en.14382.pdf

Edited by buddy215, 18 January 2014 - 07:44 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hi Buddy

Thank you for your fast reply. I have downloaded and installed the Seagate Wizard but have yet to run the program as I am still in the process of reading the extensive User Guide.

Being able to backup [and restore if necessary] my data using this program will certainly give me some peace of mind.

However, I would very much like to overcome the Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFF error so that the System Restore function will allow me to create a restore point.

So, if you or other forum readers can help overcome this issue any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your reply.

Nonic

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,088 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

The GUI for that program is very good. I don't think you will have any problem figuring out how to make a complete image of the drive...which I recommend you do.

Be sure to make the boot disk/ CD that you will need if your OS or hdd goes bonkers or you need to reinstall to get rid of malware.

I am curious to see if the same problem occurs, though. I'll look around on the web after the game to see what others are saying to fix that problem. Please post back 

whether it works or not.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

You may or may not need to make sure that the Volume Shadow Service is running.
Start, right click Computer, Manage; select Service. Services and Applications, Volume Shadow Service, and set the service to "Automatic".
Then try rebooting computer and tap F8 before Windows Logo appears. Select Repair Your Computer and hit enter. Select
Repair Startup Problems and hit enter. When completed reboot. Then open an Elevated Command Prompt, Run as Administrator, then type chdsk to see if this resolved the issue.

Good Luck

#6 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

G'Day Buddy & Sikntired

Thanks to you both for your recent replies.

I am pleased to report the Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFF error seems to have been resolved.

Last night I was having a look through the free software available via the "Downloads" tab on the Bleeping Computer website. What caught my attention was Windows Repair [All In One] by tweaking.com [not the portable version].

After reading the description on the Tweaking.com website  "Windows Repair is an all-in-one repair tool to help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including registry errors and file permissions as well as issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Update, Windows Firewall and more."  I decided to download, install and run this tool.

It took some time to complete and as I watched I was surprised at the number of registry items that had to be either deleted,reset and / or repaired. On completion the Log File contained a huge amount of entries that I could not interperet so I am non the wiser as to which error[s] were causing the Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFF error.

Anyway, after rebooting the PC I tried to create a restore point and was successful!!!!!.

This morning I tried to backup my 4.08 GB of file/folders to a blank DVD-R disc and this was also successful!!!!!.

So I am one happy and relived Vista user. My next task is to create an image of the entire HDD.

Imitially, I will try and create an image using the Windows Backup and Restore within Vista, just to satisfy myself that it can be done. After that I will create an image using the Seagate Wizard as suggeted as suggested by Buddy in an earlier post.

However, my next challenge is to organize an external hard drive as at least 30GB of space will be required in order creating an image.

I hope my experience will be of assistance to other readers. Finally, my sincere appreciation to you both for your interest and your time in responding to my plea for assistance. Thanks also to Bleeping Computers and Tweaking.co.

Cheers

Nonic

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

Good Job, Mate!  Glad the issue is resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users