Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inherited a MacBook

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

A friend's MacBook had a hdd failure and they gave it to me.  It's a MacBook MA255LL/A.  I replaced the 80GB Hitachi hdd and am now looking for a operating system for it.  I would like to find a Tiger ISO which I could download, burn to a disc and install it.  Is there a free download for this?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

http://download.cnet.com/Apple-Mac-OS-X-Tiger/3000-18513_4-10203618.html

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

A friend's MacBook had a hdd failure and they gave it to me.  It's a MacBook MA255LL/A.  I replaced the 80GB Hitachi hdd and am now looking for a operating system for it.  I would like to find a Tiger ISO which I could download, burn to a disc and install it.  Is there a free download for this?

No. There is no legal OS X 10.4.x download that you can use to install OS X. The link tgdetjen posted is an update that does not include system files that will boot up on your Mac. The model Mac you have can run OSX 10.6 which Apple still has a disc for sale that you can use.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

#4 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Buddyme2 is absolutely correct.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I just did a google search and found that link.  You should not use it.  Tiger is owned by Apple and you must purchase it.  Use Buddyme2's link and purchase the DVDs.

Also if you run into trouble, don't be afraid to call 800-MYAPPLE.  You can purchase a support case for only $19 and it will last up to thirty days.  I have done this before and it is worth it.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

If you really want Tiger, then you can buy used Tiger install discs on eBay. Just be sure to buy a disc that looks like this (this is the "retail" version):

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-15975811-29141/Tiger_RETAIL_install_disc.jpg

DO NOT buy an install disc that has no "logo"/picture on it and is a solid grey color with white lettering. Those discs are Mac model specific (i.e. only work with one specific Mac model), so unless you buy the disc that works with the specific model you have, it will be a waste of money.

#6 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

I had another thought.  I was having trouble with my Snow Leopard DVDs for my MacBook Pro (mid-2009).  I called Apple (800-MYAPPLE) and they put me in touch with sales.  They were gracious enough to send me at no charge specfic (gray label) DVDs for my particular model.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the responses and useful information guys.  I believe the first thing to do will be to call Apple and see if they would be willing to help me with acquiring the proper disc/s.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

Don't get carried away and jump the pc ship :snorkle:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

@OldPhil

I just built my new computer and am running Windows 8.  I don't foresee any possibility of "jumping ship" any time soon.  I have too much invested to go to the dark side.

If you are curious as to what is in my new computer see my profile.

An update.

I call Apple Care and they are sending me a free copy of Leopard, the correct operating system for this computer.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

@OldPhil

I just built my new computer and am running Windows 8.  I don't foresee any possibility of "jumping ship" any time soon.  I have too much invested to go to the dark side.

If you are curious as to what is in my new computer see my profile.

An update.

I call Apple Care and they are sending me a free copy of Leopard, the correct operating system for this computer.

That is one place Apple is ahead of PCs. I took my Brothers one Ipod to the local Apple store and they gave it a shot, reloading the software. No charge. Sad to say it didn't last.

On the other hand It was free. So I got what I paid for. :)

I'm sitting here looking out at me street that still is white from Tuesday's snowfall. They plowed but it has been to cold for the snow to melt away.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users