Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

swg Filename: Google Toolbar Notifier.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jcfawsett

jcfawsett

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

I am beyond a beginner on computers, but an intermediate or even a low intermediate at best.  I was investigating programs or software that load on starts up.  I believe things are loaded on startup that are not needed. 

Questions:

1)  If I choose to  prevent a program from loading on startup, will it load when needed? 

2)  How will I know when the program is loaded? 

3)  What action triggers it to be loaded when needed after startup?

I selected the above referenced software (swg - Filename Google Toolbar Notifier.exe) to investigate.  I have instructions covering how to disable the Notification option.  I don't know if I should do this.  The description says I can remove or delete this file, but that is not recommended.  It also says I can disable the settings in the Toolbar settings and then remove the autorun entry.  It goes on to say if you do not enable/disable that setting again, the autorun entry will not come back.

4)  What is the autorun entry?

I don't know how to proceed, and I don't know what software should be disabled at startup.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System and Internet Explorer 11 Version 11.0/9600.16476 on my HP p6720f Desktop PC.  I want to use Google as my search engine. It is installed as a toolbar.  Two other toolbars labeled Ask appear below the Google toolbar Google. 

4)  How can I decide if the Ask toolbars should be removed?

Other programs load on startup such as Log-Me-In.  I could choose to use it with a computer savvy friend.

5)  Will it load when needed, or must I take some action to load it?

jcfawsett

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Google Toolbar Notifier isn’t needed at startup

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe-16278.html

If one of the Ask items you are wondering about is %programfiles%\Ask.com\Updater\Updater.exe, it isn’t needed at startup

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/Updater.exe-26966.html

--- I have disabled the Ask Toolbar in startups plus uninstalled it for many of my friends

--- IMHO, it isn't needed anyway but that's me

According to the LogMeIn community, it doesn’t appear to be needed at startup

http://community.logmein.com/t5/Free-Pro-User-to-User-Support/auto-startup/td-p/22191

When items are not needed at startup, you will be able to call on them when you want

What you need to know is that even after removing any item from the startup list, many times it can easily return such as in the case of the Ask toolbar since there are times depending on what you are downloading, the Ask Toolbar needs to be unchecked when it’s included as an option

--- So anytime after having removed a startup item but it returns stop for a couple of minutes to find out why

--- Many of my friends run into that especially when they are not the only user on their computer

I still need to understand the autorun entry you ask about

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

1)  If I choose to  prevent a program from loading on startup, will it load when needed? 

2)  How will I know when the program is loaded? 

3)  What action triggers it to be loaded when needed after startup?

4)  What is the autorun entry?

4)  How can I decide if the Ask toolbars should be removed?

5)  Will it load when needed, or must I take some action to load it?

jcfawsett

The nature of startup entries is somewhat varied but, generally, they fall into two broad categories:

a.  Windows files and drivers which are needed for the system to function as a system effectively.

b.  Unnecessary items installed by program a user installs...which ostensibly facilitiate updating the application or otherwise provide data about your system to the developer of the program.  Developers institute these for their own purposes and they have nothing to do with user ability to use the program which was installed.

With few exceptions (AV, firewall, other system security programs installed), there is no reason at all for installed programs to begin at boot.

Eliminating a startup item will generally have no impact on user ability to use a program...programs begin running when activated by the user by clicking a shortcut on the Start Menu or direcly clicking the .exe file.

You can use a startup manager to review/control all items which load at startup.  For more info on such, see http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-startup-manager.htm .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users