Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

couple of keys not working on hp laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dingdandoo

dingdandoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hi,

Im using a HP laptop with windows 8 64-bit and last night for some reason my "y" key (im having to copy and paste the y). After doing some research i tried uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver but to no avail. Also tried restarting the laptop but again no solution. I then also found out when pressing the "J" ke it opens the download window on google chrome and opera like it would if i did the shortcut ctrl + J. I tried using the on-screen keyboard and when i press J and the y key it highlights the ctrl key which i thought was strange. 

Does anybody have a solution or heard of this problem before? it was working perfectly until randomly last night

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Sounds like there are a few posiblities.

#1 The keyboard is dying

#2 Something might have been spilled on the keyboard

#3 The cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard could be loose or possibly corroded

#4 The control key could be stuck

That's all I can think of without physically looking at the computer.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

See also this HP link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03843122

Tekken

#4 dingdandoo

dingdandoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the replies,

There hasn't been anything spilt over it and also i have cleaned the keyboard and blew compressed air into the keyboard to see if there was an debris under it. Also theres a light for the cap locks key to signal its on, i realised this doesn't stay on when the key is pressed. When i hold the shift key and press the y key fast the y is inputted on the screen. Im thinking it could either be a loose/corroded ribbon cable for the keyboard like you say or the keyboard is dying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users