Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless monitor ideas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

I am looking into setting up a wireless monitor, who is using what and how good is it?  I am cost concious!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

What are you trying to do with it?

There are a few options but unfortunately none are great for gaming/fast response stuff, or syncing audio/video unless you transmit audio as well.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

TV in my kitchen, I watch on my laptop now but would like to my 20 Sony monitor on a shelf with LT close by but off my table.  Other half is tired of wires (IE my junk on the table) :tophat:

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Not what you,ve asked for (I know nothing of wireless monitors and have doubts about how well they would work) but if the purpose is for viewing streamed media from your PC or Netflix and that type of thing, I'd suggest a SmartTV with wifi support. I got a Samsung 22 inch model which works well. It plays stuff off my PC and NAS and works with Netflix and other services I use like BBC iPlayer.  There's also boxes which add Smart TV capability to non equipped TV's (like Roku) which also connect through WiFi..

Edited by jonuk76, 23 January 2014 - 11:39 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Still in the thinking stage!

Thanks

Phil

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Since you're still in the planning stages I'll second jonuk76, go with a display that connects wirelessly to something you can easily set up.  Most of the wireless video solutions I've seen are $150 on up.  Getting a device that already supports a wireless connection is probably the better investment.

#7 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Google Chromecast, all you need is to spend $35, an HDMI port, and use Google Chrome on your laptop and you can mirror your Browser on the screen, watch netflix/youtube/hulu/realplayer from your laptop/smartphone/tablet.

Basically makes your tv a smart tv but without the price tag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users