Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Media Center USB's Do Not Work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kl0wn

kl0wn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

I have a computer from a fellow co-worker. It is a Dell XPS 410 running Windows XP Media Center. The guys wife bought, installed, and run System Mechanic from a big box store. Now the USB ports do not work. There are not any PS/2 ports for the old style mouse or keyboard. That being said, there is no use of the mouse or keyboard. When you go into the BIOS settings or system setup, the keyboard works. When the OS loads, it does not. When you plug a mouse or keyboard into a USB port, it does recognize it and attempts to install the drivers, but then gives and error message and informs you that the device may be inoperable. I have gone into the system settings and made sure the USB controller was turned on and all the USB's are enable. I have taken the hdd out and removed all of the System Mechanic, System Shield, and Iolo files from the drive. I have attempted to boot from that hdd on another computer using a dock, but it gives a BSOD and restarts. I was kind of leery of doing that any ways. I can only assume that the software she used give her the option to update all of the drivers on the system and has in turn created a conflict with the usb drivers. At any rate, I have reached the point where I am unsure what to do next. Any help in getting this computer back in action would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

What has worked for me on a couple of occasions is 'refreshing' the USB stack which basically involved removing everything under USB in Device Manager and rebooting to allow them to be re-installed.

I was wary of this the first time but only had issues with this once -  and it turned out that the MB was faulty and needed replacing.

I don't recollect if I had to delete drivers - but at least on 2 occasions it was installing updated drivers that caused the problem.

Steve O.

#3 kl0wn

kl0wn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

There is no use of the mouse or keyboard  ?

#4 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Sorry. I did wonder about that but you said you had been into System Settings and checked the controller and USBs?

You said the keyboard works in accessing the BIOS, have you tried starting in Safe Mode? I know it uses a basic video driver to override that installed - not sure about other devices like USB mouse/keyboard .

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true

Failing that, I guess you are going to need a Rescue or Install disk - do you have the original?

Steve O.

#5 kl0wn

kl0wn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Ahhh yes, I guess I worded that a bit wrong. What I meant was the startup options screen an such. All before the OS actually loads. No I do not have any type of recovery disc for it.

#6 kl0wn

kl0wn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Oh and I have attempted safe mode as well with the same results.

#7 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Any System Restore Points created prior to the problem?

Failing that, I am wondering if you can burn a rescue disk and boot from it. I used a program called USBDVIEW (I think) when I had problems but I don't know if that would help if you copied it to a Rescue disk.

Steve O.

#8 kl0wn

kl0wn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Well I did attempt a system restore with the hdd in a docking station from a different machine (which basically turns the hdd into an external storage device) but when I run system restore it just picked up the restore points on the computer I was using.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Try the the offline method using ERD commander as shown here. It does a partial system restore but it may get your USB back.

#10 kl0wn

kl0wn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

10-4. I'll check it out when I get back to the house and report how it goes. Thanks

#11 kl0wn

kl0wn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

So sorry. I thought I had posted an update, but at any rate, I performed a clean install of the OS. Fixed

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Glad that you have fixed the issue, being that it came from someone else, a clean install doesn't hurt. I've bought or have been given at least 6-7 used computers, all needed a reinstall to get them in good working order again. In more recent years, I've went with caution & reinstalled one even though it seemed fine.

Yes, those utilities, no matter the brand, often does far more harm than good. System Mechanic is no better than the rest of the snake oil sold. What I don't get, is why Microsoft allows their name to be placed in ads for the majority of this crap. Usually somewhere in the ad, there'll be (in gold letters), a reference to being a Microsoft Partner. Evidently the standards doesn't have to be high to be one, as I've seen a lot of useless software distributed with the MS logo in the background. Which makes one wonder, is there a payoff to MS to use their name? Some of these sites has been running for years, so the folks at MS has to know what's going on.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users