Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where did the Family Tree Go?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Greetings;  Re: O/S7.  Recently, I upgraded my wife's computer from Vista to Windows 7. I did back up some files on discs for re-installation. My first question is: why would upgrading (Vista to 7) lose files and are they really lost ? That  is to say even though we don't see any symbols or icons, could the info that was there before the upgrade still be in the machine somewhere.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Look in explorer for "My Bach up" I think they should in that folder.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

It depends on how you did the upgrade.  There should be a Windows.old folder on the drive.  That folder contains all files that were in the previous install.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

As Greg says, it all depends on hhow you did the upgrade from Vista to Win 7. If you did an 'upgrade install' over Vista, Win 7 will have created a folder called 'windows.old' and all the files from the previous install will be in there.

If you did a 'clean' install, then your hard drive will have been formatted and the file allocation table blanked. This doesn't mean your old files aren't there, or that they can't be recovered. It just means that Windows Explorer cannot see them. If you did do a clean install then you will need recovery software to try and recover your old files.

I have used 'Recuva' from Piriform - www.piriform.com - with some success in the past for this and there are other products to do the same job. However, it is important that you use the computer as little as possible - ideally, not at all - until you are in a position to install and run Recuva, or whatever product you pick. The reason is that your operating system now sees the whole hard drive as a blank slate, and if it decides to store your expenses account in the space where that photo of your favourite cat was, the cat photo is permanently gone.

You are not alone in this - it is said that computer users fall into two groups : those who HAVE lost data; and those who are GOING to lose data. I am firmly in the first group !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users