Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU with Bios help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ForcedObsession

ForcedObsession

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hey guys. So I have a HP desktop s5412p which comes with a LGA775 socket. So I was limited on what CPU I could get. So I went with the Pentium 4 extreme 3.73 Well my question is do I need to update my Bios or if there is even a update? The current bios is from 3/3/2010. It had a Pentium 2.7..The Pentium 4 is from 2004. When I went to intel I couldn't find a newer bios update. Wasn't sure if I even needed a bios update. This install caused when I start my computer the fans turn on but the computer doesn't power up..Display says no signal and power button light doesn't turn on. I know I installed the CPU correct after watching many how to and reading Intel instructions. Once I noticed the install didn't work I installed the 2.7 back and everything started up normal with the stock CPU. Any help would be great. I have average knowledge of hardware but the software kinda can fly above my head.

Thanks.

Setup:

HP desktop
Motherboard American megatrends inc 5.13
Installed Pentium 4 dual core extreme 3.73

Old CPU (Pentium 2.7 E5400)
Windows 7 64bit
4gb ram
Geforce 6 series GPU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hi, BIOS updates do not come from Intel. In this case You need to go to HP and see what they have for that model.

This is what I found. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&product=4191653

Upgrading or Replacing the Processor http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07139&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4191653

Step 1: Determining which processors are compatible with the motherboard

Read this section.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ForcedObsession

ForcedObsession
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the quick response. The HP website was the first site I check out. under the first link you posted is the same page I found. If you look for a bios update there is none. If you look it up more it says if you don't see a update then the computer you have selected doesn't have a more recent update.  Also regarding your second link I did some research before ordering the Pentium 4 extreme and it is listed as a supported cpu for my setup and the lga 775 on many sites. But for some reason I don't see it on this list. Unless im reading it wrong:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

• Core 2 Quad Q8xx0/Q9xx0 (Yorkfield core) (95W)
  • Core 2 Duo E8xx0 (Wolfdale core) (65W)
  • Core 2 Duo E7xx0 (Wolfdale core) (65W)
  • Pentium Dual Core E5xx0 (Wolfdale core) (65W)
  • Celeron Dual Core E1xx0 (Conroe core) (65W)
  • Celeron 4xx series (Conroe core) (35W)

Thanks again for your help so far.

Edited by ForcedObsession, 18 January 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Sorry, but it looks like what you've bought is not supported.

From the website:

• TDP: Varies by processor
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    • Core 2 Quad Q8xx0/Q9xx0 (Yorkfield core) (95W)
    • Pentium Dual Core E5xx0 (Wolfdale core) (65W)
    • Celeron Dual Core E1xx0 (Conroe core) (65W)
    • Celeron 4xx series (Conroe core) (35W)

The Pentium D Extreme Edition 3.73 Ghz doesn't fall into any of those categories. 

You might have had a lucky escape anyway as the one you're trying to put in is slower than what was in it anyway!  The E5400 is faster than a Pentium D Extreme Edition 3.73 Ghz by a good 50%.  Forget the speed in Ghz - they are not comparable because the EE is from the Pentium 4 family (Netburst architecture) while the E5400 is based on Core 2 architecture.  Basically although it's lower clocked, it is faster because it is a much newer, more efficient design.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 ForcedObsession

ForcedObsession
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

Wow didn't see that coming. Wonder how and where I found the info on it being supported. But then again I guess im in the old thought of the Pentium 4 extreme being so great. Guess im behind in my time. Guess now I have to find which is the best of those supported by my setup. My 5400 is maxed out with what im trying to do.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Well I'd imagine it's a very rare chip (selling price $999 in it's day) so I'm sure someone will want it :) Fastest in the list of supported CPU's would be the Core 2 Quad Yorkfield processors.  There's a list of all Core 2 processors here.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 ForcedObsession

ForcedObsession
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

Found some good deals on Core 2 duo 8600 and 7600

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hi, Make sure they match the list exactly

I mention that since there are other cores such as Conroe that You could end up buying that will not work.

This one would be faster since it is a quad core. Four cores rather than 2 cores.

Core 2 Quad Q8xx0/Q9xx0 (Yorkfield core) (95W)

The quad core is a significant improvement over the Duo core if You use software that supports it.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 ForcedObsession

ForcedObsession
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hi, Make sure they match the list exactly

I mention that since there are other cores such as Conroe that You could end up buying that will not work.

This one would be faster since it is a quad core. Four cores rather than 2 cores.

Core 2 Quad Q8xx0/Q9xx0 (Yorkfield core) (95W)

The quad core is a significant improvement over the Duo core if You use software that supports it.

Good Luck

Roger

Very helpful information. Think I will post this in a different part of the forum to maybe get some others ideas on this topic?

Edited by ForcedObsession, 18 January 2014 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users