Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about a recent problem that occurred.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Maxey243

Maxey243

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hello and thank you for your time by reading this post, I appreciate it.

What was the problem the occurred?

I was doing some video editing for YouTube on Sony Vegas Pro 12 and some rendering on the program too and everything seemed to be perfectly fine, no problems at all. I cancelled the rendering process when it said "14 Minutes Remaining" because I was going to render it out in the morning instead because it was late at night and I wanted to sleep. So, like I said, I cancelled the rendering process and then shut down the computer.

The morning came I as usual, I switched on my computer and let it boot. Please note, upon booting my computer it will always say a message saying "Front Audio Not Detected" and then bleeps twice or once, depending on how many things are not plugged in. This is because it is a HP computer and I do not have a HP case so certain things cannot be plugged in. What it will then say is "Press F1 To Boot" and then this boots windows with no problem. However, this morning it took a noticeably longer time to say "Front Audio Not Detected" this then brought up suspicions for me so, I sat and waited. Eventually the messages came up along with the beeps it usually does. Upon pressing "F1" to boot, it said, "BootMGR missing" or a message along those lines, sorry for not knowing exactly what it said.

I know from experience that when this message comes up it means there is a problem with the Windows installation on that particular HDD. So, I told the computer to restart and this time I entered the BIOS to see what was wrong and it came to my attention that the main HDD that was hosting Windows was not detected. This brought many questions to me as why this has happened. I opened the case and made sure everything with securely plugged in and then once again, loaded the computer. Still the problem occurred. The secondary HDD that all my games etc. was installed on was being detected but not the main HDD. I did a few cable swaps to see if the cables was the issue. The problem still occurred.

I grabbed my spare 160GB HDD and plugged that one in and it was detected along with the other secondary HDD which made me believe that the problem was the HDD containing Windows died. What I cannot understand is, why it died. I did not bash it or anything along those lines I simply shut down the computer the correct way the night before. 

The reason I am posting on this forum is because I was hoping that someone could tell me why my HDD died all of a sudden because I do not want this to happen again and then do another re-install of Windows on a different HDD. 

Thank you.

- Stay Safe. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hdds are electromechanical devices, they can die if there is a problem with the disk/s or other mechanical parts.  It can also die if there is a board component failure.

If the hdd still spins you may be able to recover some of your data using a program like Ubuntu.

Recovering Data with Ubuntu

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

At HowToGeek there is a good tutorial for using Ubuntu to recover data from a hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users