Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rkill found something, nothing else detects it at all

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

a few days ago i was on my old windows xp computer and i ran the following programs just to check it was in good health.

MiniToolBox.exe  (found nothing)

JRT.exe (found nothing)

AdwCleaner.exe (found nothing but the setting for google as my default search engine)

tdsskiller.exe (found nothing)

rkill.exe( found two "things")

FSS.exe(found nothing)

malwarebytes(found nothing)

norton antivirus(found nothing)

the two things found were HWDeviceService.exe   and    ouc.exe, respectively in folders

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DatacardService\

C;\Documents and settings\Administrator\Application Data\\T-Mobile Internet Manager\

both were shown as terminated processes but rkill found no windows services to stop, no registry issues, no miscellaneous issues, no windows service integrity issues and no missing digital signatures. i navigated to the files of the processes it terminated and scanned both with norton and mbam which both turned up no results, norton even said that the files were considered trustworthy by large numbers of norton users. does this just mean rkill  is being heavy handed (it has a short comment in the log after each process terminated calling HWDeviceService.exe an [AU-HEUR] and calling ouc.exe a [UP-HEUR] ) or are the two files/processes dangerous? by viewing their properties ouc.exe shows as being created on 8th april 2013 and modified 31 december 2009, HwDeviceService.exe shows as being created and modified 16th november 2010. from memory i am sure i have been seeing those processes in task manager for years, why only a detection by one program now? and i do use a  t-mobile usb mobile broadband device on that machine so such names no not strike be as being too weird. i can post the log in question but as far as i can tell the text here summarizes everything in it and more, also posting that log would take a while as i will need to connect the old computer to do so.

thanks

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users