Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proxy ? Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jimzhr

Jimzhr

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

I am in an RV park using park WIFI most times.  The process I use is to find one several park networks, connect to one, open a browser, complete login info with my site # and password.  At that point I am online, slow as it is. 

Too often this does not work and  I get the message "Unable to connect to proxy server".  I have no clue what this means.  Sometimes I just reboot the computer and the issue disappears.  Sometimes it does not disappear and I'm out of luck.  I don't understand the proxy "thing" and it is not something I've been told about and it's not anything I've ever needed to be concerned about with this laptop and park WIFI.  I have looked in Setting at the proxy setting page but it makes no sense to me.  I see a reference to setting up a VPN and I do use Hotspot Shield VPN but it's been on the laptop for months and has not been an issue.  Ny OS is Win7.

Can someone please explain and tell me what's happening and how to work around the problem.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_philsmith_dot_com_*

Guest_philsmith_dot_com_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

A proxy server is a simple thing; it takes your network request instead of the intended host, directs it to the host, and returns the response to you. It really is a proxy; it stands in for you. For example, let's say you live in China and want to visit a web site. That web site might block all of China because of all the hackers there. So you'd use a proxy server in some non-blacklisted nation, say Canada. The Canadian proxy server would redirect your request to the web site and return the data to you. Providing they weren't blocking China too, of course.

I don't know anything about Hotspot Shield, but I would guess it's the source of your problems. I googled it and it looks like it uses a proxy server at anchorfree.com to mask your IP address.

So the question is, do you really need Hotspot Shield? Let me explain: out in the big Internet, the IP address that everyone sees as yours is that of your WiFi router. It performs something called NAT (Network Address Translation) and has (at least) two interfaces, one for you local internet (LAN) and one for the big Internet (WAN). It receives packets from you, sends them out to the world, then when the return packet comes, sends it to you. So someone looking at your traffic could indeed pin it down to your mobile home park, but not your particular home. So do you really need to mask your IP address?

I see that it also encrypts traffic. Most traffic that really ought to be encrypted already is. Your online banking web site traffic is surely already encrypted; if not, better get a new bank because if they don't care about your online security they won't care about your monetary security either. You don't need it there, either, I don't think. But maybe you're an international criminal and you don't want Interpol to track you down to your hideaway. :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users