Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection throttled on only my pc, no clue whats going on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsstafford

jsstafford

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

So very recently my internet connection started to slow down drastically ( i usually average about 40/30 mbps download and 4/5 mbps upload) Now out of seemingly no where it has slowed down to 2mbps download but my upload remains 4mbps.

But when I torrent something it downloads regularly at 3mbps, but when i direct download (or like patch a game) it slows to trickling speeds. Im using wifi to connect to the modem in the room right next to mine, and the pc thats directly connected to the router has the regular fast download speeds, I even checked the wifi on my phone and ran a test and it was faster then the speeds on strictly my pc. Also, after a while of me being logged in to my pc I cant load websites all together, on any browser. It still says im connected to the wifi, and it still allows me to play online games, and talk in programs like Teamspeak, but I cant load any websites. Restarting my pc fixes that issue, but the extremely slow download speeds remain.

I have ran my antivirus software (Comodo internet security) and scanned 3 times, but to no avail. It didnt detect any issues. Im here now because I have absolutely no clue what to do to fix it.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gubat

Gubat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Seems like we are experiencing the same problem...I even checked if I needed a new LAN card but tech guy said something is blocking the signal from going through to my computer, using WIN7 Home Premium with paid AVAST and ASC 7.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

pc thats directly connected to the router has the regular fast download speeds,

By directly connected, do you mean connected by an ethernet cable ?  If so, then your problem is entirely connected to the wi-fi aspect, which has two ends and a middle !

If there have been no structural alterations to the building such as internal steel framing inserted, or a row of steel lockers placed against the intervening wall, then the signal path cannot have changed much, so you can forget the middle !

This leaves the wireless transmitter / receiver in the router, or the one in or on your computer. Both of these can fail, and the simplest way of testing is substitution. I would start with the one on the PC as being simpler to check - and the more likely culprit. You don't say if you are using an internal wireless card or a USB dongle but the simplest change is just to beg, borrow or steal another dongle and substitute that.

If changing the unit on the PC doesn't improve matters, try a different router. This is likely to be more complicated because you will have to set it up to speak to your phone supplier's system as well as your computer's. At a mininum, I think you will need your phone number and the password your ISP gave you when they set up the service.

One other point to check is the aerials on these equipments - that they are still there, and pointing in roughly the correct direction, usually straight up.

i use a dongle on my own desktop, and I have discovered that its positioning is critical - if it slips down on the tower by as little as 1/2 an inch, I lose about 25% of my signal.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

Comodo is notorious for throttling and causing connection issues.  You do not need it, since Windows 7 has a good Firewall.  You can use Avast for Anti-Virus, or just stick with Microsoft Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials).

#5 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Disable your wireless on the problem pc, then use an ethernet cable to connect to the internet to see if your speed returns. This should tell you if you have a wireless adapter problem, or if it's in Windows somewhere.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users