Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD where did all my space go.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MikEH20

MikEH20

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

hello every one im new to this fourm and would like to say hi to every one first this fourm looks pretty friendly and helpfull so i thought i would post a few question i have here.. but one at a time :) i would also like to apoligize for my spelling its not my strong point i looked for a checker but could not see anything.

my question is i built a custom computer almost 2 years ago and my one internal hard drive is a 1TB and its telling me that i have about 70gig left on it but when i highlight all the files and folders on that drive and click properties to see there tottal space used is only like 50 gig this harddrive is not the c dirve and does not have any os on it no hidden folders.. is my only option to format it?

thanks for any help :)

Edited by MikEH20, 18 January 2014 - 06:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:29 AM

If the drive you're quoting these figures for is not the C: drive, then how much storage space it offers will depend on how large it was partitioned to be.

Assuming this drive is mounted as D:, when you look in Computer, what shows as the Total size and Free space for C: and D:? (If the drive with 70GB free is another letter, substitute that for D:)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 MikEH20

MikEH20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:44 AM

C drive capacity is 465GB and 167GB free

D drive capacity is 931GB and now 53GB free (i know thats not good)

im 90% sure i partitioned D drive it to the miniume required

i also ran defrager and drive cleaner no change though

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Defrag will make no difference to storage space, and Windows drive cleanup will only find a small amount of recoverable space.

In saying "my one internal hard drive is a 1TB" do you intend this to mean the system has only a single drive of this capacity? Because a single 1TB drive can't be partitioned into 465GB and 931GB unless you used compression.

To assist in clarifying your system specs, you could publish a snapshot using Speccy:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

You can also use a utility such as WinDirStat to discover if a drive is being used up with hidden system storage such as restore points and system backups:

http://windirstat.info/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

You can also use a utility such as WinDirStat to discover if a drive is being used up with hidden system storage such as restore points and system backups:

http://windirstat.info/

I would second this action as it will give a fantastic visual using a treemap and you'll see exactly what's taking up all of your space ;)  .   I was going to suggest using a program called SequoiaView but WinDirStat does the same thing.

Edit: Welcome to the forum eh  :welcome:

Edited by daveydoom, 18 January 2014 - 07:12 AM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#6 MikEH20

MikEH20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

here is a speccy

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HB3P4B6AAmqYrjTSoyFda4b

i also have a external hard drive pluged in via USB2 it also is at 931GB

just ran windirstrat and it says that i have around 600GB in backups and windows image backup??? how do you go about cleaning that up? also what is with the weird image below the tree it seems each one is linked to a file.

thanks daveydoom you cought that in my name eh :P

thanks for all the help :)

Edited by MikEH20, 18 January 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#7 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Those images you are seeing represent files and folders on your computer.   It's a graphical representation of what is on your drive and how large each file and folder is in relation to one another.   If you hover over each block and then look at the bottom of the screen it will show you the path to that file :)   .   

What's the path to those backups and Windows image files?

Edited by daveydoom, 19 January 2014 - 09:01 AM.

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#8 MikEH20

MikEH20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Cool thanks, thats a handy tool. i will let you know monday I'm out in the country right now going to go ice fishing :)

#9 MikEH20

MikEH20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

The path is Drive D/computername/backup 2014-01-13 and its 288GB large its the biggest file on computer (also a solid color no internal chunks) is there anyway to compress the backup or clean it i know that back ups are important..but damn thats a large file. the back up that is befor this one is signifigantly smaller at something like 50MB

then there is Drive D/ windowimagebackup and it also sits and 288GB what is windowsimagebackup? is it exactly what it sounds like? i cant see images taking up 288GB i do have a lot of photo's but not that many..

how ever there both part of the same large file acording to that image thing below

ooo also after looking more into it apears i have 2 large back ups called the same thing.. Drive D/computername/backup(differnt dates though) also this one is 306GB. this larger one looks more legit (seprate sections and little cubs and chunks in it). mm i could go on a long explemation but can i post a pic of WinDirStat here with out reviling any personal data (just double checking)

mmm something very weird is going on.. i closed windirstat and re opned it hours later and the results are WAY! differnt.. i did not tell it to do anything other then close and reopen its now not showing any of the backups what where huge execpt windowimagebackup witch is now sitting at size 0 but i dont belive it.. the last 7 folders are the ones that where showing huge last time now there size is 0

Edited by MikEH20, 21 January 2014 - 06:52 AM.

#10 MikEH20

MikEH20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

i managed to find the backup manager (didnt know about it) and freed up 250 or so GB

how many backup files should one have? just one? or how many? i currently have 5 with a tottal of 300GB. what is systeme image backups? is there a way to get that smaller? i already did the system image manager but is there a way to get it to use less space becouse its using 288GB space

p.s with out your guys help i would of never figured to look into back ups thx for the help many thanks and the awesome programs

#11 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

how many backup files should one have? just one? or how many? i currently have 5 with a tottal of 300GB. what is systeme image backups?

I'm afraid I don't have any good answers for you since I don't use the Windows 7 backup tool which sounds to me like what you are using to get those image backups.

The number of backups you should have is entirely up to you :) .    If you're making a lot of changes to your computer in a short period of time you may wish to have more backups.   If you're not making many changes you may not need a new image as often.   You'll have to review your settings to see if you can change the frequency at which it creates a backup (I've never checked into it).

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#12 MikEH20

MikEH20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

Thanks daveydoom my d drive is doing much better now with more free space then used. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users