Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager tab "Processes" shows about 1,5 GB used, tab "Performance" 3,9 GB

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

The Task Manager tab "Processes" shows about 1,5 GB used, tab "Performance" 3,9 GB. Why?

My Notebook has 4 GB RAM, so it doesn't work anymore, when 3,9 GB are used.

How could I see the processes not shown in tab "Processes"? Could I delete, stop them?

Attached File  Screenshot - Sa, 18.01.2014 , 11_44_39.png   223.42KB   0 downloads

Edited by Dirkk, 18 January 2014 - 05:47 AM.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

On the processes tab make sure that 'Show processes from all users has been selected'.

You can also download and run Process Explorer from Microsoft which gives a more detailed view of process activity.

Your memory usage, taken together with the CPU activity graphs and the number of processes running, is suggestive of a malware problem.  I would advise that you download and run Malwarebytes following this tutorial.

#3 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thank you.

On the processes tab make sure that 'Show processes from all users has been selected'.

Yes, it is selected.

Thank you for the link, I have it used it some times, I just downloaded it again and opened it. At the moment it produces 74 % CPU, so you cannot use the Notebook properly anymore.

How can I show the RAM usage? Do not know which column I would have to enable.

I would advise that you download and run Malwarebytes following this tutorial.

I periodically do it, with SuperMalware, also. They usually do not foud anything, besides of some adware software, cookies or so, I assume.

Attached Files

Edited by Dirkk, 18 January 2014 - 08:00 AM.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Process Explorer should only show high cpu use for a short period after startup.  After that I would expect to see less than 1%.

Click View on the menu bar and then Select Columns.  Click on the Process Memory tab.

The option Working Set Size denotes the amount of physical memory assigned to the process by the memory manager.  The option WS Private Bytes denotes the amount of memory that cannot be shared by other proceses - this is the memory usage figure shown by default by Task Manager.

#5 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Thank you very much,

OK, I have found those options.

But why is there such a big difference between the GB shown in "WS Private Bytes" and the tab "Performance" in the Task Manager? Which processes are missing, if any were missing?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#6 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

The honest answer is I don't know.  On both my systems the figures tally.

#7 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

OK. May be there is anything I miss. Adding the memory shown in the tab "Processes" tally with the tab "Performance". Or am I wrong?

78e529d79de04b24cd7b47c6df665926.jpg  05ce6af8c60ee301eb06e03c14ab9017.jpg  b1ba947e907c5cdf35fded9fd529af46.jpg  24fe148de495e3bae101d08db292ebf3.jpg

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#8 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

Yes, the total of the memory used by the processes listed should roughly tally with the the figure shown on the performance tab.  If it does not, then this would suggest that there are some hidden processes running on your system.

Also because the number of processes you have running requires more physical memory than is available, it means that the system needs to be continually reading and writing to the paging file, which will slow down your system.  May I suggest that you try having fewer programs running at any one time to see if that helps with system performance.

#9 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Thank you.

Yes, the total of the memory used by the processes listed should roughly tally with the the figure shown on the performance tab.

And that isn't the case, if I am right.

If it does not, then this would suggest that there are some hidden processes running on your system.

How could I make the hidden processes visible? And may be stop / delete them?

Also because the number of processes you have running requires more physical memory than is available, it means that the system needs to be continually reading and writing to the paging file, which will slow down your system.

Yes, how many RAM must be free / unused, to let Win run properly? So, may be using 3 GB (of 4 GB available overall) is good. Or can you use 3,9 GB RAM without loss of performance. Sometimes the TM shows about 3,5 GB RAM in use and the system runsextremely slow, sometime the system runs not that so, though the same amount of used GB is shown. Why is it like that?

May I suggest that you try having fewer programs running at any one time to see if that helps with system performance.

Yes, thank you, but it is not possible actually. There is no program I wanted to miss. I had thought about already, but...

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#10 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Looking closely at the four screenshots you posted at #7 (which I was unable to do earlier), I can't see anything particularly to be concerned about.  On the Performance tab in Task Manager, if you click Resource Monitor and then the Memory tab, the Physical Memory pane gives a graphical display of how the memory is used - if the 'Modified' section is large (say more than about 40Mb) then there is an issue with data being written to disk.  I don't think there is an issue with hidden processes.

It is difficult to give a precise answer interms of how much memory should be in use because windows memory manager handles this dynamically and determines what data and code is written to the pagefile.  The ideal is that when running under normal conditions there is free memory with little data being written to or read from the pagefile.

quietman7 has written a very good post on poor performance - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/ - and you may find useful to follow the appropriate steps in it.

#11 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

On the Performance tab in Task Manager, if you click Resource Monitor and then the Memory tab, the Physical Memory pane gives a graphical display of how the memory is used - if the 'Modified' section is large (say more than about 40Mb) then there is an issue with data being written to disk.  I don't think there is an issue with hidden processes

It must be this: 99b30e9aa927a9f27142d875502968ba.jpg

So, it seems as if there is - as you say - little data written to and read form the pagefile, if I see it right.

Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it now.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users