Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI output to HDTV from GTX 650 quality issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vindy

vindy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hello everyone, I recently had a new Geforce GTX 650 put in my ancient HP Desktop as it is the fastest card my system will support and I am now running output from the HDMI port to my Sceptre 1080P HDTV so I can watch HD streaming video on Netflix and Hulu on my new HDTV. Before getting the new card I had a Geforce 8800 GT in my machine and was using the second DVI-I port to run VGA to the new HDTV using a DVI-I to VGA adapter and running sound from my onboard audio to the TV via 3.5mm audio cables and Y-Cables. Of course, with the old card I was making use of the PC input on the Sceptre. Things worked flawlessly with that setup. Now, with the new GTX 650 I am using the HDMI output of course, to minimize the number of cords running along the floor, and using nVidia control panel to clone the primary display to the Sceptre HDTV. The primary display is a fairly old Dell VGA monitor connected to the VGA port on the GTX 650 and I have it set at 1280x720, and the secondary display, the HDTV, is running at 1920x1080 of course. I expected to find the same quality with the new setup, at the very least, as the old setup. But with things as they are now I can see occasional distortions on the HDTV when watching streamed HD content at Netflix or Hulu, and I think the same distortions are showing up on the primary display as well, the Dell VGA monitor, but it is harder to notice because the screen is so much smaller than the 40" Sceptre HDTV. I am using a 25 ft HDMI cable, and I know it really shouldn't be longer than 12 ft, and I will definitely try using the shortest HDMI cable I can, but I suspect the real problem may lie elsewhere considering the same distortions are showing up on the Dell monitor. I have the latest drivers for the GTX 650 installed for my OS, so needing better drivers is not the issue I believe. Curious thing though, when I run the old Dell VGA monitor at 1024x768 I do not notice those small and occasional distortions at all. Its hard to describe what I am seeing, but it is like horizontal distortions that appear from time to time in the image. They are most noticable when there is a lot of motion and you can see the outline of an object at one level not lining up with the outline of the same object below that level in the image. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure this out. Maybe there is some software out there that can smooth things like this with HD video by perhaps applying some kinds of filtering to the video? I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

System Specs
---------------------------

HP Paviliion a1630n Desktop PC
32-bit Windows XP Media Center with SP3
Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz
3 Gigs of Samsung PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM clocked at 533MHz (2 x 266MHz)
ASUSTek NODUSM3 version 1.05 motherboard with a front-side bus speed of 2.0 GT/s 
(~ 6.4 GB/s), 199MHz 
1 TB Seagate Harddrive
Geforce GTX 650

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Two possibilities occur to me with your problem.

The first is you are trying to run two screens at different resolutions - TV at 1920 x 1080 and the VGA monitor at 1280 x 720. On my reading of the specs for your video card, this isn't possible !  I may of course be wrong !  You can run more than one screen but, as I understand it, at the same resolution. As an experiment, try just connecting the TV and set the video card to the TV resolution of 1920 x 1080 and see if this flaw disappears.

The other possibility that occurs to me, and I have seen reference to it elsewhere in BC, is the two screens may be trying to run on different refresh rates. TV monitors normally match theirs to mains frequency, which in your part of the world is 60Hz. Check that your video card and your monitor are both running on this refresh rate.

If neither of these turns out to be correct, no doubt others will have other suggestions !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Hi and thanks for responding. I know you say my graphics card running two displays at different resolutions shouldn't even be possible, but obviously that isn't the case since I was able to do exactly that. Even the old Geforce 8800 GT I had could do it. I'm having difficulty remembering all the steps I did to achieve two different resolutions on two displays (you know how it is where you're playing around with settings rapidly trying to get something to do what you want), but I am pretty sure I was able to achieve it both with nVidia Control Panel settings alone (I think it involved selecting the second display in "Change Resolution" after cloning the primary and clicking on the button right below the list of resolutions, I think the button may have read "customize", I can't recall) and I was able to achieve it by cloning the display in nVidia control panel like before but then going to "Properties" by right-clicking on the desktop, choosing settings, going to the second display, clicking "advanced", then going to the Adapter tab, clicking on "List all modes" button, and finally choosing 1920x1080 (32-bit color) 60 Hz. Now it maybe that even if the card can do two different displays at the same time at different resolutions you shouldn't because it could cause problems such as this. I now have both the monitor and the HDTV set to 1280x720, 60 Hz of course, and I am still seeing the horizontal artifacts and tearing effects. The next thing I will try to do is clone both displays at the native resolution of the HDTV, 1920x1080, but I would rather not because I am one of those weird people who does not like the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen due to the fact that most HDTV content is running at 1280x720, and not up to 1920x1080 yet. If that solves the problem I guess I'll stick with it and deal with the black bars. One thing I should note is that with the old setup I was running the old Dell monitor, the primary display, at 1024x768, and the second at 1920x1080 via DVI-I to VGA as already stated. Since the Dell monitor is rather old, somewhat small, and square, things actually look best at 1024x768. I'm wondering if the source of the problem is that old monitor, although I don't see how it could be the source of the issues. If syncing the two displays to 1920x1080 doesn't solve the problem I will try going back to 1024x768 on the primary. If that too doesn't solve the problem I will try resetting the card as well as the RAM in my machine as that is what the guy at the computer shop who installed the new card suggested, as well as trying a shorter HDMI cable. My next thing to try if problems are still occurring will be to use one of the DVI ports on the new card and audio out from my onboard sound into a device that will combine the two into HDMI which I will then run to my HDTV. With one of those devices I will be able to more closely reproduce the setup I had with the old card with the new GTX 650. You know I took my computer into the shop to have the guys there run audio from my onboard sound to the Geforce 8800 GT using S/PDIF, so I could then use a DVI-I to HDMI adapter and watch HDTV videos on my HDTV TV that way.They told me it wouldn't cost much more to just put a new card in the machine so I took their advice. I'm now kind of wishing I had told them to do what I originally asked instead of putting a new card in there. Oh well, I don't think I will be taking it back to have my old card put back in. Anyhow, I'll probably be back after I have tried all of the things I described to let you know how it went one way or another.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

Is this the type of thing you are seeing?

http://www.100fps.com/distortion2.jpg

Those are interlacing artefacts. Using a deinterlacing filter in your video player should help.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

No, that is not what I am seeing. The horizontal artifacts only occur on one line at a time, not through the entire image, and they happen sporadically. It looks more like tearing. I have just turned off the HDTV and rebooted my computer so it no longer sees the other display and dropped it to 1024x768 on a single display, the Dell monitor, and I am still seeing the tearing effect. I'm now thinking either this card, or its drivers, just doesn't play well with either Windows XP, my old Dell monitor, other parts of my system, or my system as a whole. I mean really this card is faster than anything else in my system. Comparatively speaking, it outclasses everything else by far. Its big also, which means its sitting close to other devices. When you have a bunch of old hardware bunched up against a piece of hardware that has a much higher clock rate I think it could cause problems. I mean, hell, the bus speed is so far behind the clock on the card its ridiculous, but I thought the card would still improve things like video and gaming considering what you're really after with faster graphics cards is the processing going on with its chipset and bottlenecks like bus speeds aren't too concerning as long as you don't run the newest graphics intensive applications that would really need the what's being put out by the video card to be written across the bus to the monitor as quickly as possible. Usually you get concerned most with the bus when you're looking at RAM, and somewhat with the CPU as well. I would really like to solve the problem without putting the old card back in, but if after trying everything I can think of along with what you guys have to suggest I may end up doing just that. 

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

How about video codec's etc.  What are you using?  I've always used the K-lite Codec Pack, and it has options within it to tune things like hardware acceleration of video (DXVA decoders).  It also includes MPC-HC in the full packs which is an excellent video player.  Some say don't use codec packs, but I've never had problems with it.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hi guys, me again. I think more than likely my problem is software related, as these tearing problems don't occur during game play, even at very high resolutions with most of the settings maxed out with a number of different games, and other computer use. It only happens when playing video. And I checked to see if I would see the same tearing happening with Netflix set at the lowest quality video and indeed it does. So, it is not just an HD video issue I think (lowest quality settings in Netflix may still be HD technically, I don't know). I wish I could really confirm that suspicion by playing an old low resolution AVI file in VLC, but when I do that I can't tell if its happening or not because at the low resolution and old 4:3 aspect ratio its harder to see defects. But, I think I may be right when I say the issue is likely software related. So, 3 possibilities come to mind. 

1.) Something running in the background is messing with video playback. I have already set as many services to manual that I believe can be done so safely and changed settings so very few non-microsoft related things load at start up, and I am still having the tearing going on with video. If some helpful advice could be given when it comes to fully exploring this possibility I would appreciate it.

2.) There is some problem with the codecs, or video plugins, I have installed. This could be settings needing to be turned on or off or some other kind of configurations needing to be set, or maybe I need to get rid of one or more and just use a certain set of codecs, I don't know. I looked through all the programs installed on my computer and made a list of everything I thought would be something my system is using when playing video. Here is the list:

AviSynth
Bandisoft MPEG-1 Decoder
ffdshow
FFMpegSource Plugin
K-Lite Codec Pack (Basic)
Microsoft Silverlight
Pando Media Booster
VP8 Video For Windows Codec
Xiph.Org Open Codecs
Xvid

I've already tried playing around with a number of settings in the K-Lite Codecs, but to no avail with my tearing issue. And hardware acceleration for video is turned on with all the programs I use to watch video (VLC Media Player, Google Chrome, and Firefox). Any advice with this possibility would be appreciated.

3.) The latest nVidia drivers for my card don't do well with video playback on my old HP with XP on it. Perhaps rolling back to an earlier version would solve the problem. I may try doing that pretty soon here to see if it in fact will solve the problem.

Anyhow, I hope someone out there can help me resolve this issue with playing video on my new GTX 650. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users