Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to recover data from Raw HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sekhijo

sekhijo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hello,

My Seagate drive went bad suddenly, and noticed that the SMART Error was ON.  The drive is visible in Windows with all the partitions Ive created but they are not accesible.  Before going into Parted Magic and follow the advices on the link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481048/external-drive-showing-raw-data-after-removal-without-ejecting/ I decided to use SpinRite 6.0 to see if was able to access it later but had no luck.

Then I followed the guide you has recommended using Parted Magic but when performing either a Quick Search or Deeper Search using Testdisk, it shows that there is no partition found.  Tried to run the Drive Health but it just dont show any status. When trying to mount the drives using the button at the taskbar, nothing happens at all.  I open Filemanager and try to mount it but was unable to, not even the working drives, maybe Im doing something wrong but not so sure.

Then I tried to mount it using the Terminal Console but still it gives me error trying to mount it.  Anyways, then I boot to my Windows 7 OS and used Seagate Recovery Software tool, it failed the Short DST Test. Havent run yet the Long test to fix the errors cause it was saying there was a risk to lose all data.

Tried to use iCare and EaseUS trials to at least see if they were able to see the information inside the drive but was not able to detect any file.  Ive found some info about another tool called Ubuntu Rescue Mix that creates a complete image of the Raw Drive but havent tested yet cause it requires me to have the Bad Drive, the Destination Drive that has to be the same size and another drive with Bigger HDD Size than the Bad HDD but I dont have that yet so im kind of stuck right now.

Any idea how can I fix this?  I change the drive letter of the bad drive in Windows and now is displaying a message to format it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sekhijo

sekhijo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Btw, Spinrite did not found issues on the drives sectors, and was unable to process a little section on the drive.  I verified the Spinrite logs and it shows that no errors were being corrected, nor sectors that has unrecovered flags.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

You have pretty much covered all the bases. If your tried Easeus data recovery and it did not find anything on the RAW drive, your options are limited. Depending how important the data is, you may not want to access the drive any further.You could try using Minitools Power Data Recovery to see if can access the RAW drive or PhotoRec which is on the PartedMagic disk. If they do not find anything, then you are looking at using a professional data recovery service which is expensive.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

I would recommend first creating a clone of the drive and trying recovery on the new clone. Sometimes you can actually create a new partition and then run recovery and find things. I have done this several times with the software get data back, it would not see anything while in raw form but after using windows to create a new partition (quick format not full) on the new clone I was able to recover data... NEVER create a new partition on the original drive as it may cause you to lose everything. If you clone the drive save the original.

AGAIN NEVER re-partition the original drive, only try this on a cloned new drive, also I have had this fail more often than not but occasionally if you get lucky it may work.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

If all you want is data from the drive, before you do any further configuration, may I suggest something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/usb-sata-ide-data-transfer-cable/1307313855.p?id=mp1307313855&skuId=1307313855&st=usb%20hard%20drive%20transfer%20cable&cp=1&lp=1

IDE,

Not sure what your objective is, but I got to a no boot situation and troubleshooting revealed the drive. I'm not a fan of the above vendor, but thought I would try this cabling system that can do SATA or IDE, it worked and I was able to recover the data. Just a suggestion.

#6 sekhijo

sekhijo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

What is the difference between this cable vs the sata cables that i used on my computer? The drive is a sata 2 drive. My goal is to get the data that is important to me. I already purchased the replacement drives so i dont think on using the drive again.

I sent he drive to a friend of mine that has actually the hardware equipment to recover the data and he was able to, however he got lazy and just save the pictures. Not quite sure what hardware he has but he is like not wanting to recover the data from that drive again. He just says he did not used any software just pure hardware. Will it be this cables you are proposing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users