Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have to reboot my desktop to connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Workingman

Workingman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Each day, my desktop will not connect to the LAN internet network until I turn the computer off again and reboot. I have Windows 7 Ultimate. I have a cable modem which I have reset more than once, to no avail. However, my laptop can connect wirelessly to the modem and the internet without a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Workingman, 17 January 2014 - 06:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Did it worked before this problem started? Have you tried updating your LAN card and or use a different port or cable just to check for hardware issues?

Tekken

#3 Workingman

Workingman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi jhayz thanks very much for your reply. Have been offline. Yes, it was working before okay. This is my desktop so I don't know about a LAN card, I have tried disabling the internet connection then re-enabling but it's still only good for 24 hours, connecting to the LAN network. The Yukon connector and eveything else seems to be updated okay. Have reset modem and IP number. Maybe i should try a new Ethernet cable. It's curious how it always connects okay to the LAN after a restart.  A bit baffling. Hope this info helps. Best wishes. 

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Ok, let us know how it went after following my initial suggestions. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#5 Workingman

Workingman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Hello again, and thank you, jhayz, I seem to have found a solution suggested to me. I have navigated to my network adapter, right clicked properties, chose power management, and then unchecked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.' So far, for the last few days, this has worked well, I now don't have to boot up the computer twice to connect to the LAN. So, let's hope this solution lasts!

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Ok, thanks for providing the solution that worked for you. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users