Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked topics..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 redvette6

redvette6

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I have a locked topic that I would like to add something new to. It was about taking a computer back to like new. I had answers to my questions and did as they suggested but no one said anything about needing Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 to complete my reinstallation. Now I am really stuck as I do not have this cd.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hi,

You have an open malware topic in AII, hence why the other topic is closed. I suggest either continuing there or send a message to a moderator (some have posted to your topic, look for group names of global mod and mod), but not both. Personally I would continue with your malware topic.

Queen-Evie already replied to another topic you made similar to this anyway.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 redvette6

redvette6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

The topics shouldn't be locked especially when they are about two entirely different subjects. Very annoying in my opinion. Or there should be someway to get back into a locked topic.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Is the locked topic and the malware topic about the same computer? If so, malware removal trumps other posts about issues on the same computer.

If the same computer, you mention wanting to take it back to new. Should you want to do that you have a choice to make: continue with the malware removal OR reinstall XP without continuing in Am I Infected.

Which option do you want to do? If reinstall, the AII topic can be closed.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,863 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

The topics shouldn't be locked especially when they are about two entirely different subjects. Very annoying in my opinion. Or there should be someway to get back into a locked topic.

As Queen-Evie says: A Malware related topic takes precedence over other topics. This is due to the fact that malware scans are run. Thuis is why we normally post this to a members topic if we know they have created a malware topic:

You should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

There is a way to open a locked topic. You can PM any moderator and ask them to re-open your topic. However as has been said, if you have an open malware topic you should complete that before moving on to other issues. Otherwise you have a good chance of wasting your time as well as those trying to help you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users