Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore, WAN and Keyboard not working.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rimmer80

rimmer80

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

I am running XP Pro on a PC and IE8.

Recently was doing a System Restore and I think possible there was a power blip at the same time.  The system seemed to finish OK but found the Keyboard and Wan had stopped working.  I tried to do another System Restore to a time I knew everything was OK but found that the System Restore page was completely blank.

After doing a few checks I tried a re-start.  XP loaded but I noticed the boot-up time was much quicker (about 1 and a half mins instead of about 3 mins.) so I assume big chunks of program had failed to load.  Still no Keyboard, WAN and a blank system restore page again.

Decided to do a 'Repair' (not Recovery Console) using my original XP CD.  I plugged a PS/2 keyboard in before boot-up so as to avoid USB etc.  Repair seemed to go OK but when it came to enter Product Key, keyboard still would not work. 

So now I'm stuck, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Try .running  the chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console on the XP install CD.

Louis

#3 Bread&Butter

Bread&Butter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Have you looked in Device Manager under computer managment to see if you have any errors showing? Sounds to me like the drivers need to be reloaded to your USB ports. This would be the first place I would look for any easy fix.  

#4 rimmer80

rimmer80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Try .running  the chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console on the XP install CD.

Louis

Thanks Louis,  I did a checkdisc when I first had these problems before I tried the 'Repair'.  Seemed to run through ok.  Would this be the same as doing it from Recovery Console?

#5 rimmer80

rimmer80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Have you looked in Device Manager under computer managment to see if you have any errors showing? Sounds to me like the drivers need to be reloaded to your USB ports. This would be the first place I would look for any easy fix.

Thanks Bread&Butter,  I am using a PS/2 keyboard so would USB port be relevant?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'd run the chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console anyway....doing so won't hurt anything and I'm not clear on what you did before.

As I understand it, the system currently does not boot into Windows, either normal or safe mode...is that correct?

Louis

#7 Bread&Butter

Bread&Butter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

No the USB wouldn't be relavant in that case but since you mentioned your LAN was also out, I would still check the Device Manager for errors, if you can get into Windows. Otherwise like hamluis said a chkdsk or running another windows repair would be a good idea. If all else fails, try to reinstall windows again. Also check your bios to see if there is a setting for PS/2 or USB under Keyboard. Some BIOS have this as an option and yours may have defaulted to USB.  

#8 rimmer80

rimmer80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Think you misunderstood me hamluis, I did say that it loads Wins XP using the 'Repair' on my XP disc its only when I get to entering the product key that I cannot do. Hope I don't loose my data using the recovery console, this is why I'm reluctant to do a clean installation unless it is really the last resort.

Yes Brea&Butter will have a look at device manager and Bios if I can still do it.   By the way I said WAN (wireless card) not LAN.

#9 rimmer80

rimmer80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

Looked at bios but could not see anything appertaining to Keyboard.

Cannot look at Device Manager because I cannot complete the xp repair until I can enter the product key.

On going through the installation of Xp using 'repair' I got a message saying "The file 'nv4_mini.sys' on NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Driver Library Installation Disk1 is needed".    I have not got a clue what that means.

#10 Bread&Butter

Bread&Butter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Sounds like a driver for your graphics card. If you have the original disk for it that would be helpful. Do you have a spare USB keyboard or one that you can borrow from someone? That would help to get around the Windows Key issue, assuming your USB ports are working. Other than that, I would wait for one of the Mods to chime in, they may have a better option for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users