Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

split windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tms108

tms108

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

I click a file in one window and file opens in other window. It used to work ok (file opening in the same window) but this time I had pressed CNTL + N. May be that is a problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hello, and welcome to bleepingcomputer.

Do you mean opening "Folders" in a different window and not "files"?

Open Control Panel and select Classic View in the left pane if it is not already selected.

Doubleclick Folder Options and in the General Tab Under the Browse Folders section select "Open Each Folder in it's own Window".

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

Also welcome to BC !

While admittedly this computer is running Win 7, but I just tried repeating your exploit in Windows Explorer - which I take it is what you were talking about. Pressing 'N' just highlighted a folder whose name began with the letter 'N', Pressing 'Ctrl+N' gave me a second copy of the same Explorer Window.

Using your expressions 'file', 'click' and 'open', are we to take it that what you are trying to do is open a file from Windows Explorer ?  If so, all you have to do is double click on the file name and it will be opened by the program it is 'associated' with, in a window relating to that application.

For example, if you click on a 'Word' type document in a list of files - one which has the extension .doc or .docx - first of all, 'Word' will open very shortly, in its own window, followed by the file you double clicked on. This is what usually happens, and it happens because most file types are 'associated' with a specific program as the first (sometimes only) choice for opening them.

So, it would appear that your use of 'N' or 'Ctrl+N' was a mistake - just double click on the file name.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 tms108

tms108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

I do not know how to thank you individual member(s) for their answers. please respond. about file opening in other window was simply resolved by moving it in the first window. next time it opened correctly. It is still a mystry why the problem happened because I had not moved file earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users