Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hal.dll is missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SliverandGold

SliverandGold

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

i recently started having the problem of my pc shutting down for absolutely no reason. It would start up but once it reach the point of the vista screen first coming on it would shut down. Sometimes even it stayed on pass this point it would shut down again for no reason. This started happening about a month ago then finally it wouldnt even turn on and the hall.dll error came on the screen, it was a black screen not a blue one. I cant think of any reason why it would do this i have Norton360 and i dont visit site i am not willing to take risk on. If it were a virus i still would not be surprised. I do have a start up disc or a factory disc that i use to get the pc started but the hal.dll is still causing it to shut down randomly.

Here is a link to my pc specifications i have vista as my operating system.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=91330&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3411015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Might be worth a look: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/errorh/a/hal-dll-missing-windows-7-vista.htm

Hope this helps

Good Luck

#3 SliverandGold

SliverandGold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

Might be worth a look: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/errorh/a/hal-dll-missing-windows-7-vista.htm

Hope this helps

Good Luck

This solution was given by pcsupport.about.com . . .

2.Check the boot sequence in BIOS. If the BIOS is configured so the boot order first lists a hard drive other than the one with your usually-used copy of Windows installed on it, that might be the problem.

It was also mentioned that if you there was a external hardware like an external drive it might cause an issue. I have my pc hooked up to the television as i am using it for the monitor.

Edited by SliverandGold, 18 January 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#4 SliverandGold

SliverandGold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

I think the pc has gotten worst. After constantly powering on the computer after it gets shut down by the hal.dll corrupted file, it logged me into the o/p with a temporary profile. The screen on the profile looks as if everything has been reloaded. I was wondering does this temporary profile have any effect on the profiles I already have. Also would the pc try and reload the o/p on it's own to factory setting.

Edited by SliverandGold, 20 January 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#5 SliverandGold

SliverandGold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

I was logged in with a temporary profile and this was the soloution i tried, just incase something goes wrong and you need a reference where it went wrong. This is where i found the solution. . .

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

To Fix the User Account Profile

1. Open the Start menu.

2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.

3. If prompted by UAC, either click on Continue (Vista) or Yes (Windows 7).

4. In regedit, go to: (See screenshot below step 5)
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
5. In the left pane, look for the S-1-5..... folder (SID key) with the long number that has .bak at the end of the numbers.
(See screenshots below steps 6A and 7B)
NOTE:
A) In the right pane, look at the ProfileImagePath to verify that this is the user account profile that has the error.
B) You may have another S-1-5..... folder (SID key) above it with the exact same number without the .bak at the end of it.

6. If you have Two S-1-5..... folders (SID key) with the same Number
NOTE: This is if you have two S-1-5..... folders (SID key) with the exact same numbers, but the second (below) one has the .bak at the end of the numbers.
A) In the left pane, right click on the first (top) S-1-5..... folder (SID key) that does not have .bak at the end of the numbers and click Rename. (See screenshot below)
2803d1370210892t-user-profile-service-fa
B) Add .bk to the end of the numbers. (See screenshot below)
2804d1370210892t-user-profile-service-fa
C) In the left pane, right click on the second S-1-5..... folder (SID key) with .bak at the end of the numbers and click Rename. (See screenshot above)

D) Remove only .bak from the end of the numbers and press Enter. (See screenshot below)

E) Now go back and Rename the first one with .bk to .bak now at the end of the numbers and press Enter.
2805d1370210892t-user-profile-service-fa
F) Go to step 8.
7. If you have Only One S-1-5..... Folder (SID key) with .bak
NOTE: This is if you only have one S-1-5..... folder (SID key) for your user account with .bak at the end of the numbers.
A) In the left pane, right click on the S-1-5..... folder (SID key) with .bak at the end of the numbers and click Rename. (See screenshot below)

B) Remove only .bak at the end of the numbers and press Enter. (See screenshot below and below step 10)
2737d1370210881t-user-profile-service-fa
8. In the right pane of the one without .bak now, right click on RefCount and click on Modify. (See screenshot below step 10)
NOTE: If you do not have RefCount, then right click on a empty space in the right pane and click New and DWORD (32 bit) Value, then type RefCount and press Enter. This value for this entry will reset and return back to the original value after you have restarted the computer and logged on to the account.
A) Type 0 (number) and click on OK. (See screenshot below)
2738d1370210881t-user-profile-service-fa
9. In the right pane of the one without .bak now, right click on State and click on Modify. (See screenshot below step 10)
NOTE: This value for this entry will reset and return back to the original value after you have restarted the computer and logged on to the account.
A) Type 0 (number) and click on OK. (See screenshot below)
2739d1370210881t-user-profile-service-fa
10. The registry will now look like this for the one without .bak now. (See screenshot below)
2737d1370210881t-user-profile-service-fa

11. Close regedit.

12. Restart the computer.

13. See if you can logon now.
NOTE: If this still does not help, then either try OPTION TWO below or see the yellow TIP box at the top of the tutorial.

Edited by SliverandGold, 20 January 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Got your message. It appears you have found the solution. Are you having any other issues?

#7 SliverandGold

SliverandGold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yes I am still having problems. Thanks for responding.

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

In your initial post you said " I do have a start up disc or a factory disc that i use to get the pc started but the hal.dll is still causing it to shut down randomly."

Is this disc the OEM installation disc? BTW have you checked to see if all Drivers are up to date? You did not mention any overheating issues so you must have checked that.

Can you boot into Safemode without any problems? You might run the Checkdisk Utility:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

You could also try running System File Checker by opening an Elevated Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) and when the window opens type in sfc /scannow  ( please note space between sfc and /scannow.) Then press enter.

Checkdsk will take some time to run, so be patient.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Edited by sikntired, 22 January 2014 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users