Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired/Wireless question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

I have setup a new system initially using cable, having three systems in my house I use one printer wireless.  I loaded the printer software and did my usual setup all worked fine.  I plugged my cable back in but now only have wifi, am I missing something?  Seems like I should be able to run both wired and wireless on this setup, where should I be looking.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

You can change what windows uses for default connections. It seems currently it is defaulting to the wireless connection. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/wired-and-wireless-connections-on-the-same-windows/ee40d9a6-297b-46d4-b5c8-db57d927b62e

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

In the start menu, search for 'network connections' and press enter.

In the window that comes up, use Alt-key for menu. Choose Advanced. (alt-n-s) On the Adapters and Bindings tab, re-order the connections, putting your wired connection at the top.

Edited by zingo156, 17 January 2014 - 10:17 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the two super quick responses, now I just did real fast look over of theMS stuff.  If I do stipulate my wire connection as my primary will I still be able to use my printer wirelessly or will I have to switch all the time.  My goal would be to have them work seamlessly together.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 17 January 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I do not have much of experience with hp's printer software but I would assume it would work through either connection without the need to change settings.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

I would like to kee the main system wired, my up/down speeds are darn good wireless but I know it perks up a bit wired.  Will it switch to wireless for the printer by it's self?

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I guess my first question is: does the printer connect to a wireless router or is it broadcasting it's own signal? If you have the printer connected to a router then it should work with either connection, wired or wireless. If the printer has stand alone wireless when the wired connection is defaulted and the pc is using that it may not print until you unplug the wired connection. I would try it with the wire plugged in and do a test print, that would be the quickest way to find out if it will print while defaulted to the wire connection.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

I have been using the printer wirelessly, I am concerned that if I switch the system to wired it will not talk to the printer.  Idealy ot would be nice if both connection could be used similtainiouly.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

I would give it a shot, plug the computer in wired, and then connect to the printer through wireless and do a test print. If it does not work and you have the ability to connect the wireless printer to the wireless router, you would be able to print with either connection using the router as the gateway.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Since the setup I do not have the router software on any of my machines, I need to do that then I can see the mapping again.  Maybe it will all work just fine when I switch the machine to wired.  Will try that later on!

Phil

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

This http://www.hp.com/global/carib/en/wireless/printer-setup-help.html should help you connect your printer to your router.

The Wireless Setup Wizard 

The Wireless Setup Wizard, which you run from the printer's control panel.

1. Make sure you know your network name and your security password (WEP or WPA).
  2. On the printer's control panel, press the Setup button and then select the Network menu.
    The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of wireless networks in the area.
    Note:  The Setup button may appear as a wrench icon. There are differences between product models.
  3. Select your wireless network's name from the list.
    If you don't see your wireless network listed, you can enter your network name manually by scrolling to the bottom of the list. If you enter the name manually it must be exact, including upper and lower case characters.
  4. Enter your WEP key or WPA passphrase.
    You must enter the key or passphrase exactly, including upper and lower case characters.
    Your printer should connect to your wireless network. If it does not connect, you are given the opportunity to print a Wireless Network Test report that will help you find out what may be wrong.
If the printer is connected to the wireless router, you will be able to print as long as you are connected to that same router (wired or wireless).

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Since the setup I do not have the router software on any of my machines, I need to do that then I can see the mapping again.  Maybe it will all work just fine when I switch the machine to wired.  Will try that later on!

Phil

You should not need the software to connect to the router, if you know the routers ip you can connect to it from any internet browser. If you click start and type cmd in the search and hit enter this will start command prompt. In that black box type ipconfig then hit enter, you will be looking for the default gateway. Type that ip address in the address bar (where you would type www.example.com). Then hit enter and you can connect directly to your router to change settings if needed. You may need a user name and password to log into the router, if you have the manual it should give that to you. If you do not have the manual and it was never changed the default user names and passwords can usually be found by googleing the make and model default login.

Edited by zingo156, 17 January 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

I am appreciative of the input, I may not follow through on fixing it until next week.  I am working on a laptop needing ram and some cleaning up for a buddy, for the mean time I will leave my stuff alone.

Phil

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

I decided to leave well enough alone, this new setup is so fast bothering with the cable is not worth the effort. Thanks a bunch for time and effort!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users