Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

search.conduit.com

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nantucket5

Nantucket5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I opened my Chrome browser yesterday and discovered that simultaneously another tab appears with Chrome that is "search.conduit.com." I have had issues with the conduit browser and the garbage it seems to attract. In the past I have used Autorun, AdwCleaner, and sometimes Rkill to identify and remove it, and it has. I did a scan yesterday with Malwarebytes but it does not identify Conduit's presence. I also ran the other previously mentioned software and Autorun identified it but there was no checkmark in the selection box on the left. I had Autorun delete Conduit, but as I opened my Chrome browser this morning I again discovered the additional tab with search.conduit.com. Suggestions on Conduit's removal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HashX

HashX

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

To remove this adware follow these instructions: (I'm guessing you're using Vista/Windows 7)

- Go to Start> Control panel> Uninstall a program/Programs and Features> Look for items that related to conduit, such as search protect by conduit > click on Uninstall.

-Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools -> ExtensionsIn the Extensions page, please click on the Recycle Bin button to remove Conduit Search from the list.

-Go to Google Chrome Settings, in the “On Startup” area, please click on Set pagesYou will be forwarded to Startup pages, in this page, please click on the X button to delete search.conduit.com. 

-Please scroll down, click Show Home button under Appearance. Then click ChangeRemove search.conduit.com from the Open this page tab, and then select Use the New Tab page and click OK to save changes.

-At last, still in Settings page, please click Manage search engines button. Select Google or any other search engine you like from the list and make it your default search engine provider, and then select search.conduit.com from the list and remove it by clicking the “X” mark.

If you have any more problems please post below.

Edited by HashX, 17 January 2014 - 10:08 AM.

I don't always use Internet Explorer, but when I do, it's to download a different browser.

#3 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

This garbage search app does get around, please read this, thanks: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/guGoXqgmhlQ

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

You will most likely also need to run these.

ADW Cleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer like it did before.
  • After the scan has finished...
    <-insert any special instructions here for what to uncheck OR remove this line if there are none->
  • This time click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

thisisujrt.gif Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.
  • Last run ESET.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
  • Scan potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

I used HashX's method many months ago and have not had any problems since. 

Edited by MissLizz, 17 January 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

As I stated , you will most likely also need to run these.....

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

That's true.  I understand this search conduit is a tenacious tenant; I was lucky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users