Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Did Something Stupid.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bother

bother

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

I saw an error on my computer start-up screen this morning and, half asleep, pressed the key that it asked. Complete repair-install ensued, apparently.

It's not entirely bad, some of my programs are still on the computer (though some don't work), it's just that I lost all my other files (Word, music, the lot).

I know what I did was very stupid, but regardless, is there any way of reversing this myself, or will I simply have to take it to a repair shop?

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

A repair install should not have removed any files. Maybe there's something else going on.

#3 bother

bother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

Really? I posted a similar query on a message board elsewhere, and I got a reply stating that a repair-install is what must have caused it.

My query on this other website was that the computer had entirely reinstalled itself (by my own fault, naturally), to the point that it was 'acting' like a brand-new computer and thus everything I had previously saved to my old documents had now disappeared. The person who replied told me that what I'd gone and done was the 'repair install' and that this was the cause. Is this actually correct then, or possibly not?

(Just in case it may be of any help: The original error my computer had was something relating to a system error. [I can't remember it verbatim, which I apologise for.] It gave me the option of pressing a key for it to repair itself, and not being a computer whizz, I simply took that option.)

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

Hi bother.
Herks right, a repair install shouldn't have done what you've described.
The only exception to that rule that I know of is below:

Data loss occurs after you reinstall, repair, or upgrade Windows XP

I take it this is an OEM system with XP pre-installed?
Sounds more like a factory restore to me except you would have lost everything that didn't come pre-installed as well.

Edited by HitSquad, 09 May 2006 - 10:00 AM.

#5 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

A repair install would not have wiped out your files but since you stated the computer was just like new again maybe you ran a system recovery instead of a repair install.
Many new systems have a seperate partition on the hard drive to restore the computer to factory condition, most of them can be started from Windows others require you to press a key or keys when starting the computer. In either case this type of recovery usually formats the hard drive.

#6 WWWWWWWILLY

WWWWWWWILLY

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

You can go to START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE and the computer will go back to how it was before the date you choose :thumbsup:

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:01 PM

You can go to START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE and the computer will go back to how it was before the date you choose

Not likely - a "new" install will wipe all restore points along with everything else. If there are indeed restore points left from the previous system, it might restore the system, but that will do nothing for missing data, which is not stored in restore points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users