Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Officejet 6600 Printer, color Ink Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

Ok,  (running Win 7 Pro, Printer firm/soft ??)

I know the standard answer is, go get new ink stupid.  But, allow me to explain first.

HP OJ 6600 uses 4 ink cartages to prink.  Black, Red, yellow, blue (they call them mangenta, cyan... blah, its red and blue...OK)

So, I ran out of Red ink the other day.  So I figured that hey, I'll just print in black and white.   HAHAHAHA  NO SIR, says the printer... moreover HP forums says

"As an all-in-one device the printer require any of its ink cartridges for maintnace purposes, printing in black ink only is only possible till any of the cartridges has been depleted, then it is essencial to replace the cartridge in order to resume printing even in black ink only." -

So according to HP I have to ALWAYS have all 4 ink cartages working to print in B&W.

So, my question is this. 

Has anyone got a workaround or slick solution to fix this issue?   (and the old, yes, unplug printer, and throw it out the window) is not what I am looking for

thanks in advanced guys.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

The only solution I know is to re-fill the relevant tank(s), and if they are also 'chipped', then you need to establish some way of re-setting the chip. If you don't re-set the chip, it can be full to overflowing and the printer will still say 'I'm on strike - no ink !'. I have seen re-chippers on the market - try eBay - but I cannot speak to how effective they are.

My wife and I shared an HP950 a few years ago - superb printer, did a tremendous job of everything we threw at it. Binned it because we couldn't afford to keep it in the style of ink to which it was accustomed. Ever since then, when buying an inkjet, the specification has included the line 'MUST have separate ink tanks'.

I hate to say it, but the solution you say you are not looking for is probably the economic answer in the long run unless you can crack the re-filling problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that.  BUT I FOUND IT OUT SOLVED BY ME

You need some knowhow, and this will work with the 6600, 6700, 6100, and any all-in-one models (according to best buy....?)

So easy as can be the link to the video is here.  And I KNEW it was something like this, because I have spent years working on Medical Equipment, and its the same thing with that stuff. 

CAUTION: This will keep the Printer Thinking You always have ink.  I cannot stress that enough.  It will continue to print when you have no ink.  As SOON as you see streaks in the printing, STOP.  And REPLACE. Also clean the print head and all that each change.

1) Remove the Printhead from the printer. (thats, the tray the 4 inks sit in)
2) Unscrew the Logic-Board, careful with the small spring.  (this is the board on the back, "its what tells the printer your out of ink, uses a pressure sensor and a spring" )
3) Connect the two contact using a cooper strip wire and tape properly. ( make a jumper between the two contacts, your grounding them and that is KEY.  Any metal will work, That is how it knows full is full.)
4) Attach the Logic-Board to the Printhead with screw. (make sure the springs and guides match up)
5) Put the Printhead back to the printer.
6) Wait for a few minutes, until the Power Led stop blinking. ( it can take awhile, just wait)
7) Now the printer is ready to print...
Source is:
www.inkstar-technology.com

You can find the video on youtube HERE

If you refill you can turn off the protection option in the HP software, this is the option that will not let you refill the INK.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

Pure dead brilliant !  Not even as messy as trying to re-fill cartridges. Personally, I would use a touch of solder rather than 3M tape, but genius, pure genius !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

yeah, I knew this was possable, but I dug for like 4 hrs to find it.  Solder might not work here, because unless you have a micro solder iron you will heat too fast and warp the contacts and PCB.  But, I would use flat wire  (the tape that has a wire in it).  That way you can do it without the mess of fumbling with tape.  Also, removal is key if your under contract.  If you can find this or buy it, then striping a single strand small gage wire (20 gage or smaller I would think) and place in in a strip of 3m vinal tape or electrical tape and put it in place.  Just dont use the auto grade 3m tape, or you will never get it off.  Im going to try it tonight and see what happens. 

Please pass this on if you can, more folks need to know about this.

CZARBOOM 

#6 reble

reble

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:07 AM

One of my room mates split the scene and left some stuff behind.  She left behind a HP Officejet 6600  printer/fax/copper/scanner.   This printer is by far the worst design I have ever seen in all my years working on 2 way radios, vcr's, tv's, computers and printers.  Ist off it is relay dumb to design it so you have to take off the flatbed scanner to to pull the print head.  2nd I had just refiled the ink cartridges (a more then normal messy job, I ware surgical gloves when I re-ink the cartridges). And I was still getting a cartridge empty message on the BLUE and YELLOW cartridges.   So I pulled the logic board to make the jumpers above.  I tried with a micro soldering iron to bridge the pad's and still manage to burn one of the pads off.  This Chinese made PC boa rds are just plain junk.  Out to the trash it went.

Steve

#7 patplh

patplh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Hi Czarboom - I came across your post b/c I was trying to find a way to avoid buying color ink when i rarely use color. I have an office jet 6700 and followed a video to remove the print head and then the video you linked to add the wire and still, I get the deplete error.  I double checked the steps and checked the wire and springs.  Any other suggestions? Do I need to use different ink cartridges. I've just been using the same cartridges that came with the machine (altho they've been refilled once by Costco).  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

Patty

Yeah, I was thinking that.  BUT I FOUND IT OUT SOLVED BY ME

You need some knowhow, and this will work with the 6600, 6700, 6100, and any all-in-one models (according to best buy....?)

So easy as can be the link to the video is here.  And I KNEW it was something like this, because I have spent years working on Medical Equipment, and its the same thing with that stuff. 

CAUTION: This will keep the Printer Thinking You always have ink.  I cannot stress that enough.  It will continue to print when you have no ink.  As SOON as you see streaks in the printing, STOP.  And REPLACE. Also clean the print head and all that each change.

1) Remove the Printhead from the printer. (thats, the tray the 4 inks sit in)
2) Unscrew the Logic-Board, careful with the small spring.  (this is the board on the back, "its what tells the printer your out of ink, uses a pressure sensor and a spring" )
3) Connect the two contact using a cooper strip wire and tape properly. ( make a jumper between the two contacts, your grounding them and that is KEY.  Any metal will work, That is how it knows full is full.)
4) Attach the Logic-Board to the Printhead with screw. (make sure the springs and guides match up)
5) Put the Printhead back to the printer.
6) Wait for a few minutes, until the Power Led stop blinking. ( it can take awhile, just wait)
7) Now the printer is ready to print...
Source is:
www.inkstar-technology.com

You can find the video on youtube HERE

If you refill you can turn off the protection option in the HP software, this is the option that will not let you refill the INK.

Hi, I came across you 

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

There are large number of machines that use that type of sensor and contact arrangement.  It is common throughout HP and Compag inkjets.  Slightly different in each line, model to model but pretty common in design.  "Chipped" ink cartridges can't be fooled that easily, I have had some success with a 9 volt battery across some terminals to fry the chip but it has  been hit and miss. 

#9 patplh

patplh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for responding. I just order some non-OEM ink cartridges and we'll see if switching them out changes anything.  Still hopeful that we can override the low ink issue.  I'll post back if that makes a difference.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users