Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Canon MPNavigator and Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vicky2014

vicky2014

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hi, I upgraded to 8.1 from 8, and can no longer use my scanner. My scanner is part of a Canon Pixma 470 all-in-one. (Printer jammed, haven't tried using it). I keep getting the error message, "The scanner driver supported by this software is not installed. Install it and retry."

Today while on the phone with Canon, I uninstalled and reinstalled both the driver and the software several times, doing all they suggested, such as using IE instead of Chrome and running as administrator. I also tried Troubleshoot Compatibility, and got the message "incompatible program." I don't have any antivirus software as far as I know, but she said if I had any in the past it could still be there. I have no problems installing other programs. The customer support had no more advice.

The printer is not showing up in Devices.

I assumed the problem was from going to Windows 8.1, but I also tried installing MP Navigator and software on my other computer that has Win8, used IE, never had antivirus on that machine (which I rarely use) and I got the same error message. So I think the problem is with the Canon MPNavigator itself.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Hello,

Is your Windows 8.1 64 bit and did you download the 64bit driver?

#3 vicky2014

vicky2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Hi, yes it is and I did, thanks. The Canon site actually detects the OS.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,607 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

After the driver was installed did you try adding the printer manually. Also, with the printer turned on, are there any exclamation marks in device manager?

To see if a printer is installed
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click PC and devices, and then tap or click Devices.

If your printer is installed, it should appear under Printers.

3. If your printer isn’t listed, tap or click Add a device, and then select your printer to install it.

#5 vicky2014

vicky2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Hi, I installed it manually.

Still having the driver issue though. I also tried installing the same driver on my Windows 8 computer and had same error message. When my 8.1 machine was just 8, the driver, which was pre-8.1, worked fine. Now the driver is 8 and 8.1 and doesn't work. I did the free chat with MS and they couldn't help. They tried to sell me premium service for $99 but I declined. It would be cheaper to buy a new, non-Canon scanner. The Scan metro app also won't work with the all in one (scanner is part of an all in one).

Someone suggested I try installing the 32 bit driver, tried it but got message since my computer is 64, it will not allow installation of 32.

I'm using my camera as a scanner for now. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,607 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

So you can print but you cannot scan? Does the printer show up in devices? When the printer is on are there any exclamation marks in Device Manager? According to the Canon website, the driver was updated to 8.1 but it did say that if the computer was update to 8.1 from 8 the driver would have to be uninstalled but you have already done that.

Is this the driver you installed?

mp470swin64101ea24.exe

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 January 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#7 vicky2014

vicky2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

I can't print either, I get a message that says "printer not responding" followed by a popup "printer is in error state." 

#8 vicky2014

vicky2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Yes that is the driver I installed.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,607 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

And, when connected there are no exclamation marks in Device Manager? Is the printer shown in devices?  I have not read the manual but try to reset the printer if you have not done this already. There is software on Canon's site called "My Printer" ( mypr-win-3_1_0-ea11_2.exe) It is supposed to diagnose any problems you have with the printer. It may help.

Use this optional software to quickly access printer driver settings, problem solving procedures and troubleshooting information.

#10 vicky2014

vicky2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Thanks, I just tried that download, ran it but it says "The printer that (sic) supported by My Printer cannot be detected."

When I went to Devices, got a message that says "you can only print from apps" as well as the prevoous "error printing" message.

In Devices and Printers in Control Panel, the MP470 is there because I manually added it. There are no exclamation points--none before I added it, either.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,607 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

I am running out of ideas on this. Sorry. I did find the procedure to do a reset on the printer. See if it helps.

http://tech911.biz/website/index.php/printer-resetter-softwares/88-canon-mp470-reset-procedure.html

#12 vicky2014

vicky2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Tried that--got halfway through, but when it was supposed to print the test page, it didn't. The printer has been jammed for months anyway, but it used to be able to print a crumpled sheet.

Thanks very much for your efforts! I appreciate it a lot!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,607 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

The last options I have are to first check to see if there is any object that is keeping the paper from feeding through the printer, opening as much of the printer as you can. Use a flashlight to spot anything. The other thing to try is to get a hold of another USB cable. Other than that I am stumped. Sorry.

Edit: Try plugging in your USB cable into another port on the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 January 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#14 vicky2014

vicky2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thanks. OK I will try that with the printer. I have tried turning it upside down. But there still could be things under the roller. I think my USB cable is OK because I use it for other things. I tried a couple ports on my computer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users