Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's better for the hardware? Sleeping in 20 minutes or...?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Just wondering if this affects the health of the hardware. Is it good or bad or doesn't matter that I set the computer to sleep in 20 minutes of inactivity? Should it be longer since it may be "woken up" a lot more? Is sleep mode even good for the hardware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

The great debate, leave it on or shut it off.  It really depends on the use.  I just leave my machine on if I'm going to be away for a little bit and turn it off if it will be longer.  Sleeping in 20 minutes causes issues in a work environment for presentations and meetings.

I don't think you're going to see any real difference, other than possible power usage, no matter which power settings you use.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Desktop or laptop?

For desktops I would refrain from using sleep or hibernate. Just power on and power off.

Laptops do benefit from sleep modes, especially the battery.

I've never liked the hibernate function, however. It tends to cause issues in the page file, RAM, and in the HDD in general.

#4 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Desktop. Just to give the hardware "a rest". I know it's a bit (no offense) OCD but I spent a lot on it so I want it to last.

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

I know it is an area where everybody has their own opinions, but for what it's worth I go with Netghost - it's a desktop, so leave it on unless you are going to be away from it for more than an hour or so.

I appreciate your desire to make your computer last as long as  you can, but there are actually grounds for saying that switching on and off creates stresses on the system. Just the mechanical ones of heating up and cooling down to start with, electronics like a nice stable warm environment. So long of course as the temperatures all stay within the specified limits. Then there are the electrical stresses of switching on and off. Every time you switch the mains power on, you create a voltage surge. Because of the nature of switch mode power supplies, very little of this is felt on the mobo, but it certainly is inside the PSU ! And finally for you to consider is the wear and tear on your hard drives of spinning them up to operating speed and then having them slow down again.

I agree it is different with laptops if they are running on battery. I normally set them up to dim after five minutes, display off after 10, and sleep after 20 if on battery power. If they are on mains, I have sleep set to 'never'. On my own desktop I have the monitor set to turn off after 20 minutes, everything else stays on.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Thank you. Like two hours is good?

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

I don't like sleep mode, when ive done that in the past it seems to mess with the registry cause issues. I usually turn my computer off (completly) when Im done with it, at least with my desktop. With my laptop, I use Hibernate, but I have none of my computers set to auto hibernate or shutoff-theyre all manual. With my laptop, it goes into hibernate when not in use (manually) with my desktop its on whenever Im home and awake-because I often will check my email etc. but when I leave or go to bed, I will turn it off. The only auto feature I have is I have them all set to turn on the screensaver after 10 minutes. A lot of this is personal preference.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

I use Sleep mode on my Desktop and Laptop's since I run unattended daily overnight scans and I can wake the PC's with Task Scheduler.

I do encounter an occasional issue with the Sleep mode on my Desktop when I invoke the Sleep mode but it's infrequently intermittent and not causing any issues at present.

I haven't as yet encountered more significant issues as many have, according to searches about the topic, BSOD's at wakeup, lockup's at wakeup, etc.

I'm using S1 Sleep mode on my Desktop PC and Hybrid Sleep S3 on my Laptop.

As far as what's best for the hardware, as mentioned, it's a widely diverse topic.  Powering up any hardware can increase the chances of voltage surges but that's true with anything, appliances at home, etc.

If I wasn't running unattended tasks overnight I might be doing the same as others have recommended, shutting off the Desktop at night.

One advantage that I like with the Sleep mode is that it's fast way to resume PC activities vs booting up after a power-up.  I don't use SSD's so that also factors into my preference to use the Sleep mode since my bootup's will require longer with the conventional HDD's.

I have "hibernate" disabled on my Desktop since I always close any apps, activities before invoking Sleep mode.

#9 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Thank you. You lucky you can scan overnight with sleep after inactivity activated, my AV can't do that. :(

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#10 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Thank you. You lucky you can scan overnight with sleep after inactivity activated, my AV can't do that. :(

Actually, I'm not lucky with the AV product :).  It won't wake the PC but does have an option in the Scan Scheduler setup that will return the PC to Sleep after the scan completes.

I use the Task Scheduler in Windows to wake my PC's a couple of minutes before the AV scan is scheduled to start.

There's most likely a thread or links somewhere on this forum if you'd like examples of waking a PC using the Task Scheduler but if you'd like to look at some screencaps of how I created a task to do that, let me know.  I posted a guide to help someone in my AV Forum (Norton forum) to help someone over there with it.

I use "cmd" to wake my PC in the Task, like this:

cmd.exe /c exit

In the Task Scheduler "actions" tab, you can specify a program to run and pass a parameter to it.  The "/c exit" is the parameter that tells "cmd" to just run the program and exit without performing any action.

It runs 'cmd' and just exits without performing any action but that's all I need to wake the PC before running an overnight scan.

Unfortunately, your point is also what I've seen with some AV products.  Some of them don't include a "wake pc" option in their scan scheduler setup options.

#11 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Oh, thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2014 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users