Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd hand iMac with MAC OS 9.2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

I want to make this wireless but I have no privileges nor did the guy I bought it from.

Totally lost! But it is telling me it doesn't have the Airport software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

You might need an adapter. Which iMac model is it exactly?

#3 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

From what I can find, as this is Greek to me, It's an iMac 406. Serial # QT21307XL3V. 

usb 1 2.8.6  no devices

Firewire 2.8..6 no devices

I don't know but lots of stuff are disabled and definitely can't get administrator rights.

I'm going to read the tutorials.

#4 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

This thing is areal piece of  work. Half  the apps or services are disabled and when I go online to the Apple  store, it says 'not supported ' and crashes.

#5 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

You might need an adapter. Which iMac model is it exactly?

I did some research. It's an iMac G4 made in 2002 and it does need an airport card. Found one on e-bay for 4 bucks. Now I need to find an airport base unit.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Just read that OS 10x is free, might worth down loading.  It is an upgrade but may clean things up, also I know of a few that got great help calling the Mac Store.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Just read that OS 10x is free, might worth down loading.  It is an upgrade but may clean things up, also I know of a few that got great help calling the Mac Store.

Phil

It won't work on his PPC iMac. It only supports up to Tiger 10.4.11. To get the App Store where one can download the latest OSX versions a Mac must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

So let me get this straight, you bought a MAC you don't have admin rights on? Did you buy it out of the back of a van?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Actually got it from a friend. I had another pc he had indiscriminately down loaded everything he clicked on including Search Conduit to the point he couldn't do anything with it. As well as everything from Microsoft including PowerPoint and this guy can barely read.

At any rate from your sarcastic tone I still will explain about the iMac. I think he bought it for the looks. 'Flowerpot' He couldn't do much with it either. I'm making progress though having usrd CleanMYMac.

It's not very easy to find info on this machine. Can't use the Command + S function.

Installed an 

airport card but can't get it to work and now it won't go online with an Ethernet cable.

Gotta go, send me some feed back.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

My Mac buddy raves about the Mac stores, no matter how he manages to get his messed up they get him going very quickly and free of charge.  My point is the a Mac store close by?  If yes I would take there and see if they can get you going, might be a charge in your case but worth pursuing.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users