Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Processor for AIO Computer ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sportflyer

sportflyer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

I am giving my  Sony VGC-JS190  AIO computer to my wife as replacement for her aging Toshiba Satellite laptop .   The Sony uses a Core 2 Duo E8400  cpu at 3 Ghz.   OS is Win 7 home premium 

I would like to replace it with a 23 inch AIO , Multi touch screen computer running Win8.1

I would like the replacement computer to be equiv or faster  than my current one.

Would the core i3  haswell based AIO computers be equivalent or better than my old Sony ?  Do I have to go for a core i5 to improve on it ?

The computer is mainly used for surfing web,  productivity tasks ,  some video format conversions .  No gaming , CAD,  or video editing.

I was thinking of something along the lines of Lenovo A530,  Dell inspiron 23, Asus ET2321  etc . Budget should be less than $1000

Suggestions? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

As long as what you listed is what you are doing with it, there is no reason to really upgrade, though the i3 is a more powerful processor than a Core 2 Duo though not by a significant amount.

What you are doing with it does not warrant paying more for an i5 which would be a large increase in power and abilities, and would be more needed for things like gaming/video editing.

Now looking at it, there is an Acer AIO on the Best buy site that has virtually the same internals as the Lenovo, except it has an i5 and is 70 less (800 vs 730) it is a 3rd gen  i5 vs a 4th gen i3 but again the i5 will still be slightly faster.

The ASUS is a different animal altogether... it has the 4th gen i3 but its slower than the Lenovo, the ASUS does have more RAM but 2GB is not a big deal without the need for it, the ASUS does have a faster hard drive so it would be faster when searching through files and stuff, but again Im not sure how much you would take advantage of that.

They are all quite similar and I think regardless of what you get youll see similar (if not identical) performance, I would take a bit of time and look at the reviews and see which one has the best reviews really.

#3 sportflyer

sportflyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

I believe what you are saying is that AIO computers with Core i3 Haswell and Ivy bridge i5 CPU's  will perform just as well or a little better than my current Sony with Core 2 Duo. 

I was resigned to getting a Haswell Core i5 AIO  but maybe now I can reconsider core i3 Haswell.  Normally I would chose the latest generation of CPU but for an AIO I dont think it makes much difference because one can't easily upgrade the MOBO and CPU like in a Tower . 

I will need more time to choose . I would prefer one that has more screen adjustablity , here Lenovo,  HP and Dell are better than Asus .  I have not paid much attention to Acer because they seem to have more 3rd gen  Intel CPUs than 4th gen ones but that will change soon I suppose.  

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I believe what you are saying is that AIO computers with Core i3 Haswell and Ivy bridge i5 CPU's  will perform just as well or a little better than my current Sony with Core 2 Duo. 

I was resigned to getting a Haswell Core i5 AIO  but maybe now I can reconsider core i3 Haswell.  Normally I would chose the latest generation of CPU but for an AIO I dont think it makes much difference because one can't easily upgrade the MOBO and CPU like in a Tower . 

I will need more time to choose . I would prefer one that has more screen adjustablity , here Lenovo,  HP and Dell are better than Asus .  I have not paid much attention to Acer because they seem to have more 3rd gen  Intel CPUs than 4th gen ones but that will change soon I suppose.  

Correct on the first part.

Correct on the second, you will not be able to (not easily in the least anyways) make any modifications.

I will give you that the adjusting angles are more on the Lenovo, honestly without the prospect of upgrades there is virtually no difference between gen 3 and 4, its up to you obviously, but if I was going to buy one I would look for a gen 3, since it will be quite a bit cheaper, now a full on desktop I would go for gen 4, but AIO? gen 3 is more than enough.

Take a look here, you can select any of the 3rd or 4th gen processors (i3-3XXX is 3rd, i3-4XXX is 4th) looking through there is virtually no difference.

#5 sportflyer

sportflyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Correct on the first part.

Correct on the second, you will not be able to (not easily in the least anyways) make any modifications.

I will give you that the adjusting angles are more on the Lenovo, honestly without the prospect of upgrades there is virtually no difference between gen 3 and 4, its up to you obviously, but if I was going to buy one I would look for a gen 3, since it will be quite a bit cheaper, now a full on desktop I would go for gen 4, but AIO? gen 3 is more than enough.

Take a look here, you can select any of the 3rd or 4th gen processors (i3-3XXX is 3rd, i3-4XXX is 4th) looking through there is virtually no difference.

Where is 'here"  ?   Did you mean to include a link?    Tks

#6 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

so sorry, totally forgot to add that in... here

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Snip

Snipped

The fact that a AIO is not really upgradable is a reason to buy better at the start  so it will perform OK longer before needing a upgrade. That advice also applies to laptops.

FWIW I am using a inexpensive Lenovo AIO. I ended up doing a Memory and hard drive upgrade. It was the only one in the house without a SSD.

See if You can try it in the store and see how much noise and heat it puts out.

Good Luck

ROGER

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users